Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airlines seat space.....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Airlines seat space.....

I have been cursed with wide hips. If is usually painful to fly because of this.

I would like to know which airlines offer the most seating room in coach?

Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
This has little to do with carrier and more to do with aircraft. If you want width, then you will want to stay away from Boeing narrow-body aircraft. Airbus aircraft have a somewhat wider fuselage, and therefore more hip-room.

So:
737, 757 bad
A319, A320 slightly better

Haven't really compared the wide-body aircraft. Perhaps someone else could shed some light?

Incidentally, Midwest Express used to fly DC9 style aircraft with four seats across instead of five to offer more room. Not sure if they are still doing this.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
United usually has the widest seats of the domestic Big Six.

A319/A320/767/777 are 18"
737/747/757 are 17"

DL and AA run 17" on their 767s, while CO runs 18"

DL runs 17" on their 777s, while CO and AA are 18".

Consult www.seatguru.com and it will tell you width and pitch for most of the Big Six fleet's.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:12 am

I wonder... are there seats where the arm between you and the next passenger, can be pushed into the upright position. Assuming you have a tolerant traveling partner, would this be an OK solution?

Aaron

------------------
Travel Search Engine
Travel Directory
Travel Forums
Old Oct 11, 2003, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Addl info:

AA states 17.5" on the MD80, their far most common aircraft.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys....

I have taken Jet Blue alot and the hip room has ben ok. Just checked and they offer 17.2" which isn't bad. Thay are also the cheapest for the trips I take.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by altyfc:
Are there seats where the arm between you and the next passenger, can be pushed into the upright position.</font>
Almost all Economy seats, with the exception of bulkheads and exit rows, have armrests that can be moved up. It's quite nice if you do not have a seatmate, since you can "spread out" a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.