Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What happened at O'Hare yesterday afternoon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold

I was on a scheduled AA flight from MKE to SJC via ORD early yesterday afternoon. I never ended up taking a flight on AA because we were told that there was a ground stop at ORD - and in fact flights were being re-routed to MKE - and could not say when I would be able to get to SJC.

The AA gate agent told me that a plane's landing gear (he didn't mention the airline) had fallen off, so the plane had to "belly land" at ORD. Thus, all the airport's emergency vehicles were busy handling that emergency.... so the airport had to close until the mess was taken care of.

Does anyone know any concrete details about this groundstop? Any news articles with details?

I need to try to get the miles for the trip from AA... and would like some background info.

Thanks
Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Wow! This is weirder then you might think.

See http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...-conair02.html

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

'Con Air' at O'Hare: Jet full of prisoners blows 2 tires

October 2, 2003

BY ROBERT C. HERGUTH Transportation Reporter Advertisement

A jetliner carrying more than 100 prisoners blew two tires upon landing at O'Hare Airport on Wednesday, forcing handcuffed detainees and their guards to slide down emergency chutes onto the runway once the plane hobbled to a halt.

</font>
Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Wow... thanks for the quick reply. Wierd indeed!!
Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
'Con Air' at O'Hare: Jet full of prisoners blows 2 tires
A jetliner carrying more than 100 prisoners blew two tires upon landing at O'Hare Airport on Wednesday, forcing handcuffed detainees and their guards to slide down emergency chutes onto the runway once the plane hobbled to a halt.

The affected wheels caught fire during the incident, but the flames were quickly extinguished by Chicago firefighters
Chicago Sun Times link
Old Oct 2, 2003, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
dupe

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 2, 2003, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Chicago Sun Times :
"There were no heavies," he said. "There were no . . . mass murderers on this airplane."
</font>
Nothing quite like assuring the public!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.