Wiki Posts
Search

Liverpool and Manchester questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
Liverpool and Manchester questions

I will be in Manchester in the end of November, for about 3 days .

What are some places to see in both Liverpool and Manchester. How much time should I allow for Liverpool? Would a day trip be enough, or would it be better to stay a night there? In which of the two cities would you recommend spending more time?
Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:38 am

At the risk of a flaming from those who disagree, Liverpool is more of a tourist destination with the rebuilt Albert Docks, the Beatles Museum, and a 'Ferry across the Mersey' - all of which are worth a look. Basically if you want to play tourist then Liverpool would probably be your better choice.

Manchester on the other hand is much more 'cosmopolitan' in that it has a greater reputation for 'pubs and clubs'. So if you want to dine and party then stay there.

The end of November will be cold, and it'll be getting dark around 4:30pm up there too, so bear that in mind if you want to do anything outdoors.

Finally, if you want to take in a high ranked football game - proper football, where you use your feet :-) - then Manchester United play Blackburn and Everton play Wolves on Saturday 22nd [the Manchester game is the prime choice there] and Liverpool play Birmingham and Manchester City play Middlesbrough on Saturday 29th. [either would be quite good].
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I'd agree with kiwibigdave. I had to go to Liverpool for a day for an emergency passport application and while waiting to reclaim said document had a really good day out looking around the Tate gallery (mainly modern - I did giggle quite a lot) and the National Maritime Museum. This sounded really, really dull, but there was one exhibition I wanted to see, so I went in and was really surprised, it is a truely excellent museum. Even if you don't like boats - lots and lots on social history. Also some nice shops around the Albert Dock.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Depends what you want to do. In terms of shopping, Manchester definitely has the edge with the Trafford Centre (my local Mall) and city centre shopping both being quite good.

For more cultural stuff, there are numerous museums and galleries, the most recent of these beinig the Lowry Centre.

It's worth spending time in Liverpool just for some of the best architecture in the UK.

On balance, I'd say the night life is better in Liverpool - there is always a bit of a menacing atmosphere in the centre of Maanchester on a Friday night and a fight broke out in the first pub I entered on my last Friday night outing.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:25 pm

Eh, Eh..... Calm down, calm down.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Are you interested in art? Liverpool has two excellent collections - the Walker Art Gallery and the Lady Lever Art Gallery. There will be an exhibition of works by Rossetti at the Walker Gallery in November.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Liverpool definitely has more to see by way of museums. I thought the Albert Docks maritime museum was exceptional. I spent an entire day there and still didn't have time for everything (such as the ferry cruise). I also didn't have time for any of the galleries or the Beatles Experience (not that I was dying for it). I have stayed in Manchester twice for week long trips and it is a very large city, so I am sure that it also has very notable tourist attractions -- it is just that none come to mind right now.

If you have the time, I would recommend making a side trip to Leeds, home of the Royal Armories museum -- the stuff that used to be in the Tower of London, plus a lot of other stuff, such as falconry demonstrations and AUTHENTIC jousting (non-supper club). Plus Leeds is a beautiful city IMHO.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Great tips, thanks. Juding by this thread, I may end up spending 1 day in Manchester and 2 in Liverpool. Plus, I actually like the Beatles, even though I was born way after the 60s .
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amanuensis:

If you have the time, I would recommend making a side trip to Leeds, home of the Royal Armories museum -- the stuff that used to be in the Tower of London, plus a lot of other stuff, such as falconry demonstrations and AUTHENTIC jousting (non-supper club). Plus Leeds is a beautiful city IMHO.
</font>
No, if you're recommending Leeds, then you can't leave out York! Fascinating ancient city (still parts of it laid out as the Romans left it and then the Vikings and then the Normans etc etc etc), with a fabulous cathedral/minster and some great museums, shopping and eating.

But in the length of time yevlesh2 has available, then I would suggest concentraing on MAN/LVL.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jenbel:
No, if you're recommending Leeds, then you can't leave out York! Fascinating ancient city (still parts of it laid out as the Romans left it and then the Vikings and then the Normans etc etc etc), with a fabulous cathedral/minster and some great museums, shopping and eating.
</font>
I have always meant to visit York, but I have just never been able to work it in. Maybe next time ...
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:05 am

If you do, of course give me a shout
Old Sep 30, 2003, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yevlesh2:
I may end up spending 1 day in Manchester and 2 in Liverpool</font>
Spend 3 days in Liverpool and three nights in Manchester
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Not a bad idea
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Spend 3 days in Liverpool and three nights in Manchester </font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.