Wiki Posts
Search

Should I buy a rail pass in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Should I buy a rail pass in Italy?

Next year we (2 of us) are looking at being in Italy and travelling from Rome-Pisa-Florence-Venice-Milan-Switzerland within a couple weeks. Each of the trips would be on separate days (5 travel days). For the Italy portion, is it worth it to buy one of the Italian rail passes? It seems that buying individual tickets would come out cheaper - that most of the passes (like the flexi-pass) were only worth it if you planned on having some long trips in a single day. I read about a 'kilometric' pass that can be shared and seemed like a good deal, but I read somewhere else that it was discontinued and raileurope.com does not mention it. Any ideas on the best way to work it?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
I think it's probably not worth it to buy an Italian rail pass for the trips you have in mind because rail travel in Italy is fairly inexpensive. (I was in Italy in August.)

Check out the www.trenitalia.it web site and see what the fares are for your journeys (use dates in October); for instance, Rome to Pisa costs between EUR 15 and EUR 30 in second class, depending on the speed of train (regionale, IC, ES*).

I can't speak about the distance-based tickets since I haven't used them.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:33 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Those sites don't want you to know about it!

My father and I used it. Essentially you have some number of kilometers that you can travel around Italy with. However, you can share these miles with up to 5 other people! These are valid on local non-airconditioned (first class or economy class) trains. However you can pay upgrade fees to express/airconditioned trains or Eurostar.

My father and I save a ton of $$$ this way.

- Pat
Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:01 pm

I recommend skipping the passes. Point to point tickets are quite inexpensive in Italy. I recommend taking the Eurostar trains wherever they are available. They only cost slightly more, but are tremendously more comfortable and usually much faster with fewer stops.

[This message has been edited by hhonorman (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:17 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wiirachay:
Those sites don't want you to know about it!

My father and I used it. Essentially you have some number of kilometers that you can travel around Italy with. However, you can share these miles with up to 5 other people! These are valid on local non-airconditioned (first class or economy class) trains. However you can pay upgrade fees to express/airconditioned trains or Eurostar.

My father and I save a ton of $$$ this way.

- Pat
</font>
The Kilometric passes don't exist anymore. But they sure were a great deal!

I wouldnt buy passes either. Point to point in Italy is too cheap to be worth it.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 1:27 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
Rail travel in Italy is VERY inexpensive. So cheap, in fact, that this skinflint rode in first class most of the time when he was there.

------------------
Continental Airlines and bankruptcy: The third time will be the charm!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:27 am

I agree. We did Rome to Florence to Venice this summer and it was first class Eurostar for each trip.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Thanks for the responses. So it seems that not buying a pass is the way to go. Maybe we will even splurge for first class! thanks again.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:33 am

Programs: Star Alliance
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by quinella66:
Thanks for the responses. So it seems that not buying a pass is the way to go. Maybe we will even splurge for first class! thanks again.</font>
If I remember right, many of the passes did not include the Eurostar trains, but gave you discounted prices on them. I agree with others that when possible, travel with Eurostar. 1st class in Italy is much more reasonable than on the Eurostar between London and Paris. I would also recommend getting your tickets in advance. Earlier this month, the ticket lines at Termini in Rome were very long, not bad at all in Florence, but huge in Venice. By huge, I mean 50-100 people for the windows, and at least 12-15 deep at the machines. Well worth the few dollars more and shipping.

------------------
Have a nice day flying United!
ChgoBob
Old Sep 23, 2003, 5:12 pm

I'd also recommend buying the tickets in advance, but only once you're in Italy. the tickets are much less expensive if you buy them in Italy. If you can book them a day or two ahead of your scheduled departure of each leg, you should be fine. You can even book them the day of the trip, but seat selection may be more limited. The prices will be lowest at the train stations. You don't have to buy the tickets from the station of your departure though, you can buy them at any train station. Also, if your dates of travel are firm, you can book all of the legs of your trip at once. If the lines at the station are too long, you can also buy them at a travel agency for a small fee (usually just a few euros and can be well worth not wasting your trip waiting in a long line). You can often find many travel agencies near the train stations in the larger cities. I agree with the other people who posted above, if you can afford it, by all means go on the eurostar in 1st class. You won't regret it. If you can't afford that, second best would be going on the eurostar in 2nd class, which is also quite nice. The next best choice would be 1st class on a regional train, and finally the least best choice would be 2nd class on a regional train. If you can afford it (usually it costs a few euros per ticket), ask for a seat reservation. That way you have a confirmed seat assignment and you can make sure you get smoking or non-smoking as you prefer, and not get stuck in some part of the train you don't want to be in. If you get a knowledgeable ticket agent, you may even be able to get pre-assigned forward-facing seats. Try to get a window seat so that you can enjoy the view of the beautiful Italian countryside. Have a great trip.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 1:09 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Termini station has ticket kiosks if you have a credit card... saves a lotta time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.