Reload this Page >

Bulkhead seats and the dolts who sometimes sit in them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bulkhead seats and the dolts who sometimes sit in them

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2003, 9:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RevvedUp:
The inconsiderate recliner is my biggest pet peeve while flying. I don't mind if it's an overnight flight and the person genuinely wants to sleep, but I get really mad when the person in front reclines their seat all the way the moment the plane is airborne and leaves it that way until the final descent, whether they're sleeping or not. What is wrong with these people? How can they be so inconsiderate?</font>

Hang on. If everyone on the flight reclines, everyone's in the same boat. Someone reclines into "your" space? Recline in turn. The only folks who get screwed in this scenario are the ones all the way in the back whose seats do not recline.

I recline 100% every time I can.

I do NOT use the seatback ahead of me as a crutch. That irritates me as well.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwrede:
Ok, one last thing before I get off my soapbox. Storing your bags when you fly bulkhead. I get angry when I see people who are lazy, and put their bags in the first available coach bin and then walk to the rear of the aircraft.</font>
Don't get me started about the ones who put their bags in the first available first class bin and then walk all the way to the back...

Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I recline my seat - if I want to sleep, I recline all the way; if just want to relax, partially. I'm not going to sit upright w/ no recline & be totally uncomfortable on a transcon or transatlantic because someone behind me might be offended because I'm using a feature of the seat! I do move the seat up a bit during meal times to make it easier on the person behind me to also eat.

I don't like the grabbing the seatback thing either, but realize sometime it's hard to avoid doing so. Since I'm normally in the bulkhead I don't do it to anyone else.

I like the suggestion made on another thread that if someone puts their luggage in first that sits in coach, take it out & give it to the FA & suggest they page the passenger or just gate-check it

Edited to add: I've never put my stuff underneath the seat when I've been in bulkhead. Realize that's the tradeoff of being in that seat.

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 09-02-2003).]
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RevvedUp:
I get really mad when the person in front reclines their seat all the way the moment the plane is airborne and leaves it that way until the final descent, whether they're sleeping or not.</font>
When I fly coach I always end up behind the person who reclines the seat the second they sit down. Leave it in that position, even during meals, and have to be asked repeatedly by the FAs to put the seat up.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:42 pm
ermdjdsf

I'm with jwrede on this one. Everyone has different needs and there may be reasons other than rudeness that they fully recline. I have a back problem, and unless I recline my domestic coach seat to the max on most airlines, it gets messed up for hours, if not days, after the flight. It's hard enough just being "fully upright" for take-off and landing. My worst nightmare (which has been experienced once too many) is flying in the back row, which doesn't recline at all.

But of course it's common courtesy to check and make sure you're not going to squash someone's laptop screen or tip over their drink with a sudden and unexpected push back.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I recline as soon as the wheels go up, so there won't be any laptop or drink behind me. I recline for comfort, pure and simple. I fly about 300K miles per year and I spend more time in airplane seats than I do on my couch at home.

As someone else said, don't blame me if I'm in your face. Blame the airline for making the seats that way. If you don't like it, fly in first class or fly a better airline. I paid for my seat and I'm going to use it. The truly rude are the ones who can't get out of their seat without bumping the seat in front of them.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:05 pm

On a LAX-YYZ flight on AC a few years back, I'm in the aisle, wife beside me. Economy class. I pull out my laptop to get some work done (this was the last time).

Sensing that the seatback might come down, I pull my laptop a little closer to me. 2 min later, it comes back, in one fell swoop, faster than any seatback I've ever seen come back. Incredible. Missed the top of my screen by an inch. Had I not moved the laptop, it would've been dead for sure.

I like the trick of pointing the air at their neck! Priceless...
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Why is reclining from a bulkhead worse than from somewhere else? Also, the seats I've sat in don't recline more than a few inches. That can't be what's getting everyone so rile up, is it? tls
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:37 am

Programs: AC*SE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
I recline as soon as the wheels go up, so there won't be any laptop or drink behind me. I recline for comfort, pure and simple. I fly about 300K miles per year and I spend more time in airplane seats than I do on my couch at home.

As someone else said, don't blame me if I'm in your face. Blame the airline for making the seats that way. If you don't like it, fly in first class or fly a better airline. I paid for my seat and I'm going to use it. The truly rude are the ones who can't get out of their seat without bumping the seat in front of them.
</font>
If you're going to recline in my face, I'm going to bump your seat as hard and as often as possible. Don't blame me if my knees are in your back. If I'm not comfortable, why should you be? If you don't like it, fly in first class or fly a better airline.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Stimpy, I couldn't have said it better.. well ok except for the part of 300K per year which I don't do

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:

</font>
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:40 am

Programs: AC*SE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thelostshark:
Why is reclining from a bulkhead worse than from somewhere else? Also, the seats I've sat in don't recline more than a few inches. That can't be what's getting everyone so rile up, is it? tls</font>
It's not. The thread has veered somewhat off topic. We're talking about inconsiderate airplane behaviour in general. Everyone seems to agree that a bulkhead passenger using the space under their seat (which "belongs" to the person sitting behind them) is, absent extenuating circumstances like medical equipment, inconsiderate.

People seem to have different opinions about whether reclining your seat all the way back is inconsiderate or not.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I actually got injured when someone reclined a seat to the max on a Swiss Air flight out of Johannesburg. I fell asleep. The guy in front of me was huge. I mean really big. When I woke up in terrible pain, I had to call the FA to pick up the back of his seat enough to get my left leg out of a bad pressure situation. The big guy's wife had to wake him up to get him to move! It was an 11 hour flight. I was in trouble. My leg was so swollen I was terrified. It took several months for the swelling to be reduced. Yes, of course, I did see a doctor about this. Many times! Now I will only fly business class or better on long flights. I can't afford to have that happen again! It wasn't the guy's fault. The seat was broken and he was big. Something to think about, however.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 9:33 am

It's as simple as this -- if you're in front of me and recline your seat more than a little, you're on my knees. If you stop there, it's annoying, but that's life -- the thing is, plenty of people won't stop there and will -- WHAM! -- keep trying -- WHAM! -- to get their seat backs -- WHAM! -- fully reclined. (My knees are hurting just typing this.) That's at best inconsiderate and ignorant, and at worst assault. Rarely does a simple polite request get the miscreant off my knees. More likely, the jerk gets tired of seat back shaking or the pushing in the small of his or her back (caused by my BRUISED KNEES), and twice, unpleasant conversations have lead to the jerk pushing the attendant call button -- and both times, the attendant told the jerk to get off my poor knees.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:35 am

The truly rude are the ones who can't get out of their seat without bumping the seat in front of them.</font>
What if there is a seat reclined in my space as I try to get out?
Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:44 am

I hate it when the person in front of me slams the seat back into my knees! Sure you're more comfortable but the person behind you is really uncomfortable! I wish the airlines would install seats that don't recline! We'd all be (more or less) comfortable then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.