Wiki Posts
Search

Miami hotel help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2003, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA-Hilton/Silver, Starwood, Marriott/Silver
Miami hotel help

We're heading to Miami on a business trip in late September. We're spending most of our days at the Miami Beach Convention Center. Where should we stay-Hilton, Starwood or Marriott? And which locations should we consider, close to good restarants. No car rental. Have elite memberships with all 3, Plat with Starwood, Gold with Hilton and Silver with Marriott. 2 free nights for any Hilton certificates. Very confused.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 7:03 pm

Buzz?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:29 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sharptalk:
We're heading to Miami on a business trip in late September. Where should we stay-Hilton, Starwood or Marriott? . Very confused. </font>
sharptalk did you search for the various chain properties you are asking about in the Hilon, Starwood and Marriott forums? There is an almost infinite amount of info/comparisons on the properties you are inquiring about. You won't be confused after some reading.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

I look for info on Miami for the last year under search and there were no topics listed.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:18 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
This really doesn't have anything to do with miles or points. I'm going to move it over to Travel Buzz.

Flipside
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flipside:
This really doesn't have anything to do with miles or points. I'm going to move it over to Travel Buzz.</font>
Gee, do you think that maybe the Florida forum may have been more appropriate???
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

There doesn't seem to be any info on the chain hotels I'm interested in- in the Florida category.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:00 pm

The easiest way to navigate is to realize that the convention center is a few blocks south of the official "downtown" point of Miami. (400 SE 2nd Avenue to be precise.) The downtown area's laid out on a (somewhat irregular) grid system so you can measure any numbered street by looking at its direction and number.

This whole area is generally safe, so walking is not a problem, but there's only one property less than a mile from the convention center - the Sheraton Biscayne Bay (about 1/2 a mile southeast of the convention center.) To get to restaurants and other stuff (including the tri-rail transit system) you'll have to go another few blocks north of the convention center.

If you're open to the idea of other chains, the Hyatt Regency is actually inside the center, so you will never have to set foot out of doors. It's decent - aging a bit but well-maintained and (for the most part) well-staffed.

This year, however, I stayed in the Clarion which is right next door. It was definitely shabbier (it is, after all, a Clarion) but the service was on par with the Marriott and the room was 1/3 the price. I have recommended the Clarion to two different people in the past few months and both came back saying they were pleasantly surprised.

By all means, AVOID the Dupont Plaza (the other close-by hotel) if it is in fact still standing. It's scheduled to be torn down and while I'm sad to see a historic property go, it was pretty much gone already.

There's not much really good food downtown. All the "good" restaurants are going to be in Coconut Grove or South Beach, which means a taxi or bus. If you're adventurous, the bus system is pretty easy to navigate and very clean.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;There's not much really good food downtown. All the "good" restaurants are going to be in Coconut Grove or South Beach, which means a taxi or bus. If you're adventurous, the bus system is pretty easy to navigate and very clean.&gt;&gt;
How far is this from the convetnion center? Not afraid of cabs. Which chains might be at the beach and how far are they from restaurants-walking? How is the Fontainebleau?
Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
You might want to try a few days in South Beach. There are lots of good restaurants within walking distance. The Loews hotel there is a good choice.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 9:34 pm

I actually searched for this in several forums today, and felt like I found very little...

I'm going down for a few days next month and have been looking around... There is a plethera of informtion on the web, but whenever I find one that looks interesting, their reviews suck... which seems common to alot of the hotels there...

Are there any that people here have stayed at and can recommend? South Beach, Art Deco District, say 3 star? Any help is greatly appreciated...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.