Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP - YVR pricing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2003, 10:46 am
Original Poster

MSP - YVR pricing

I am planning for a trip to Vancouver, BC and so far the tickets are hovering around USD430++. Is that the cheapest? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Welcome to Flyertalk, tallhap.

You'll find that this forum, MilesBuzz, is for the discussion of the latest buzz in frequent traveler programs.

General questions and discussions about travel not directly related to miles and points can be found in the TravelBuzz forum. I'm going to move this thread over there and hopefully you will get some informed opinions that can help you out.

Thanks,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator
Old Aug 3, 2003, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know if it will help you much, but if you can get to LAX, SFO, SEA, or PDX, AS is currently offering RTs to YVR and a few other western Canadian cities for a mere 12K miles (13K, but you get 1K back for booking online).
Old Aug 3, 2003, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

What is AS? Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:41 pm

"AS" is the code for Alaska Airlines
www.alaskaair.com
Old Aug 4, 2003, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
MSP is a fortress hub for NW and you'll pretty much pay top dollar (YVR-MSP r/t can be as much as YVR-east coas, flying through MSP). Might consider looking at fares from other (major) airports nearby (within 100-200 miles). Might be worthwhile if there is more than 1 person travelling.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tallhap:
I am planning for a trip to Vancouver, BC and so far the tickets are hovering around USD430++. Is that the cheapest? Any suggestions? </font>
As previously stated you're flying out of a major hub so expect higher fares. By the way, what dates were you trying to book?

Old Aug 5, 2003, 8:37 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Tallhap, how long do you plan to stay? Were you thinking of renting a car? You may find it cheaper to fly to Seattle and rent a car there. At least gas will be cheaper than in Canada. Sun Country has MSP-SEA flights starting at $178 round trip, although they don't earn mileage.

If Seattle just won't work, then check out Coupon Connection for a NW zone coupon. One will probably allow you to fly from MSP to YVR for about $248 round trip, plus a good $80 in tax. Consider that the last time I was in YVR Airport, they required people to pay a departure tax in cash upon departure. Others can give more accurate info.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K, DL 1MM/Silver
Yeah! I was pi$$ed off when I had to pay, what was it $7US/$10CDN for the privledge of departing from YVR. I know it's not the end of the world, just unexpected after you've checked in and passed thru customs. BTW, I've flown to YVR and driven to SEA many times because car rentals are so much cheaper in YVR.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geoffco:
what was it $7US/$10CDN for the privledge of departing from YVR. I know it's not the end of the world, just unexpected after you've checked in and passed thru customs. </font>
Just to accomodate you, they've now changed the system to get you for the AIF before you go through U.S. immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.