Wiki Posts
Search

Sound, Fury and Cell Phone Users: Disruption of Commute

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Sound, Fury and Cell Phone Users: Disruption of Commute

Great article in yesterday's NYT which I saw last night. I understand the frustration people have cell phone users, especially with those who both speak loudly and never use the vibrate ringer function. Now I wouldn't ever get violent, but if this guy hadn't have become violent, there wouldn't be an article. When I travel on Amtrak, I use my own personal CD headset to drown out those who aren't quiet in the quiet car.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/15/business/15CELL.html
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:13 am

Programs: WN Companion Pass, former HP Gold and AA Gold
No registration needed for this link...

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R24A32945

From the article:
"O.K., honey, put Mommy on. Honey, put Mommy on the phone." And on and on, for two long minutes of loud entreaties, until at last a passenger within earshot shouted for all to hear: "Tell Mommy you're in the quiet car!"
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:15 am

I must profess some sympathy for that man

Cellphone users in a noisy environment don't bother me, but they certainly do in a designated quiet car. I am not looking forward to the day cellphones will become legal in airplanes.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'm amazed what people talk about in public! No sense of privacy at all. How much more of this are we going to have to put up with?

I heard a woman talking on her cell phone while she was in the toilet! She talked even when she flushed!
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:31 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by oldpenny16:
I heard a woman talking on her cell phone while she was in the toilet! She talked even when she flushed! </font>
I've heard that too. Some people just lack class.

Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
A few months ago I had just taken my seat in FC on a Continental flight when a guy yapping on his cellphone started to put his stuff away above me. He leaned over toward me, talking very loudly on the phone. I gave him the nonverbal "please quiet down just a bit" sign (palm down, hand moving slightly up & down); he took umbrage at that and asked me what the problem was.

I do not want cellphones allowed during flight, as many users are completely inconsiderate. I suspect that their use would cause even more aggravation than already exists on many flights.

[This message has been edited by Bonehead (edited 07-17-2003).]
Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:01 pm
cervisiam

what do y'all think about non-Americans (for lack of a better term!) and their cell phone manners... does cell phone rudeness abound everywhere?

or is rudeness more prominent here because text messaging isn't as popular and people will communicate by talking?

(sorry if i am offending anyone, i am just curious! it also was inspired by walking through nyc during rush hour dodging people on their phones! )

Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cervisiam:
what do y'all think about non-Americans (for lack of a better term!) and their cell phone manners... does cell phone rudeness abound everywhere?</font>
Well NYC cabbies (often foreigners) know how to keep it quiet when they are on their cells so the egomaniac loudmouths can learn from them.

Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:16 pm
doc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:

Well NYC cabbies (often foreigners) know how to keep it quiet when they are on their cells so the egomaniac loudmouths can learn from them.

</font>
---

Well some of 'em do!

Talking to Me? No, the Cabby's on His Cell

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/013033.html

Old Jul 18, 2003, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Note how that article states that many people in the back seat hear a murmer when it is in fact the driver talking on his cell. And he's more than likely calling loved ones overseas. His ability to speak quietly would be true role models for many.

[This message has been edited by Analise (edited 07-18-2003).]
Old Jul 18, 2003, 9:08 am

I can understand people's use of cell phones to catch up briefly, but its those who have long conversation without any regard for others and for the environment thay're in, that certainly ruin it for everyone. I hate to say it, but obnoxious cell phone use is reflective of obnoxious people.
Old Jul 19, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
&gt;&gt;&gt; I use my own personal CD headset to drown out ...

All that does is increase the noise level at your ears which can make you deaf.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Guns don't ___ ___ People ___ ___

Cell phones don't ___ ___ People ___ ___

(fill in the blanks yourself, repeating the first added word in the third blank and repeating the second added word in the fourth blank)

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 07-19-2003).]
Old Jul 20, 2003, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Actually, many people with bad cellphone manners are just being plain stupid.
I have been in a public conveyance while somebody carried on a conversation at the htop of his voice about private employment problems at a particular company (which was in the immediate area), and when the shouter got off, the fellow next to me just murmured that he worked at that company and know every name that was pejoratively mentioned. At which stage a woman across from us just nodded and cleared her throat.
How many times have any of us sat in an airline lounge and were force-fed the details of a business deal, which if we had been in the particular industry, would have supplied us with quite a bit of confidential information if we just listened to the schm*ck on the phone?
And how many of these dimbulbs behave like my grandfather, who was under the impression that even tho the phone was to his mouth, the caller was at a distance and therefore shouting was required? He had an excuse, he grew up in a place where there was no such thing as a telephone, but what about these guys?
I think I would love to see the day where in a place like an airport, the signals were jammed in many of the public areas and rooms provided for cellphone use just like the glassd-in smoking rooms that you find in some airports. The noise pollution is almost as bad as the smoke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.