Search

Athens/Santorini Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 7:44 pm
Ken
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver
Athens/Santorini Greece

We are going in 2 weeks.....any inside tips? Thanks.

Ken
Old Jun 20, 2003, 9:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
On Santorini head out to Oia if you aren't planning on doing so. As you head into the town from the top of the hill there is a tiny restaurant on the left on the clifs. It's pretty much an open air place, looks like a rain shelter or something.

The food is wonderful. Then again, there may be a dozen of them and the food wonderful in all of them, who knows.

In Athens my wife totally loved the expresso coffee drinks with a scoop of ice cream in them.

Oia is a beautiful place, make sure you make it to that side of the island.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Santorini
Whether in Oia or Thira, find yourself a bar or cafe on the cliff and sit there to watch the sun set, the sky get dark and all the town lights come on. I have a pair of photos (of which I'm very fond) which demonstrate that I was rooted to a particular chair in a bar for hours - see before and after.

Take the trip to the new island in the middle of the caldera. You get the chance to walk up to the active craters (not very big, and no bubbling lava, but it's hot enough to give you a sense of what's going on beneath your feet). You also get a chance to swim in the sea where there are hot springs, but use dirty old swimmers for that because the volcanic mud gets into them and will never come out.

Athens
Take a trip out to Cape Sounion. It's about a 2 hour bus trip, from memory - I think buses go from near the national museum in town. It is very pretty, and it gets you out of the city for a day.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:57 pm

Santorini is one of my favorite places.

Just being in the main town, especially anywhere near the cliff overlooking the water, is breathtaking. Sailing into the old caldera is wonderful too.

There is an old museum on the north part of the old town along the cliff walk that is worth a quick look.

I rented a moped or honda 50 and cruised the island. The place not to miss is Akrotiri or some name like that. It is the old Minoan ruins on the south side of the islands.

Oia in the warm weather is a real hot spot, including at the beach.

Have fun.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
(1) Fly, don't ferry, between Athens and Santorini, unless you have lots of time to waste and very little money.

(2) Stay in Thira (main town in Santorini) so as to have the best and most numerous eating/dining/nightlife options. Rent mopeds to travel around the island. Check out the red beach, black beach, Ia, etc.

(3) Spend as little time as possible in Athens. You can walk through all of the important historical sites in a day. Buy all of your trinkets here - most of the ones you see on the islands are made in factories near Athens.

(4) If you have extra time, visit another island such as Mykonos, Paros or Corfu.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Franco's in Santorini is a restaurant/bar that overlooks the caldera/fabulous views/plays classical music. Great place to have a drink & watch the sun go down or just have a chat/drink at any time.

Check out the Minoan ruins at Akrotiri on Santorini.

Definitely fly rather than ferry to Santorini.

Make sure if you buy any jewelry (Greek gold; 'key' pattern is famous) that you do so at a duty-free place or place where you get your tax back.

Olive oil soap is a great inexpensive gift to bring back.

Greece will be pretty hot this time of year.

Certainly do the Acropolis, National Archaeological Museum, etc. The Acropolis especially will be busy w/ tourists but it's worth going to. Just try to get there really early.

The Agora is a shopping area in Athens- some of the stuff quite frankly is junk but some isn't.

If you have dinner atop Lycabettus Hill you get a great view of Athens. Also consider doing a folk show in Athens; bit touristy but fun.

Don't know how long you're going over for or how you're splitting your time between Athens & Santorini or if you have time to get outside of Athens - you didn't say. You can do Athens in a couple of days.

If you have time to go outside of Athens, consider going to Epidaurus, Mycenae, Delphi.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:49 pm

I have to disagree with some others as to them saying not too take a boat to Santorini. IF you are on Mykonos or a nearby island, take the ferry to Santorini. Sailing into the caldera is one sight you will NEVER forget. It is an awesome sight. You can fly out of Santorini.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 8:36 am

Athens is really dirty and uninteresting apart from the major sites.. although I haven't been there for 10 years.

Another day trip from Athens not mentioned is Corinth.. great ruins which make it easy to visualize the ancient town there. It is a 2 hour bus ride from the capital city if memory serves me right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.