Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG to FCO Advise Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

CDG to FCO Advise Needed

Our family of 5 will travel to Europe on July 1. Yeah! Planning to fly to Paris on July 5th and then to Rome on July 9th. All air flight quotes from CDG to FCO are >$500 pp (o/w). Questions:

1/ Are there cheap airfares (CDG to FCO)that I've missed and where can I get information on Eurorail (quoted at $172 pp for T4) specials?
2/ Which condo properties in Rome are recommended since I can't tell from the pictures on the websites?
3/ Has anyone have experience with the Scala House located at 21 Tottenham Street, London W1T 2AW? I tried to locate this on a web map but was unsuccessful. Could you advise if this is a good neighborhood to stay at?

Thanks for any advise you can provide since I'm getting real close to the travel date.

BTW, I've been reading this forum just to gain knowledge and be a wiser traveler. Thanks for all the great advise on so many different topics.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:14 pm

About six yrs ago, I took the overnight train from Paris to Rome and if you've not done it before and have kids, I'd highly recommend you try it. Don't remember if have double bunk beds (for four) or only single set of top/bottom beds for two. Trains are clean, toilets tolerable, and eating in dining car great fun. Scenery is so-so, but you will sleep great.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andy:
Our family of 5 will travel to Europe on July 1. Yeah! Planning to fly to Paris on July 5th and then to Rome on July 9th. All air flight quotes from CDG to FCO are &gt;$500 pp (o/w). Questions:

1/ Are there cheap airfares (CDG to FCO)that I've missed and where can I get information on Eurorail (quoted at $172 pp for T4) specials?
2/ Which condo properties in Rome are recommended since I can't tell from the pictures on the websites?
3/ Has anyone have experience with the Scala House located at 21 Tottenham Street, London W1T 2AW? I tried to locate this on a web map but was unsuccessful. Could you advise if this is a good neighborhood to stay at?

Thanks for any advise you can provide since I'm getting real close to the travel date.

BTW, I've been reading this forum just to gain knowledge and be a wiser traveler. Thanks for all the great advise on so many different topics.
</font>
Andy, the best source for Eurail information is RailEurope (www.raileurope.com). I suspect the overnight train from Paris to Rome will be your least expensive option. But it is a 15 hour ride!

As for flights, one-ways are often more expensive than roundtrips. Have you checked the roundtrip airfare between Paris and Rome? You can always throw away the return ticket. I just did it for you. Using July 5 as the departure date from Paris to Rome and a random return date (play with it, since it doesn't matter; just remember to add in a Saturday night stay to get the best fare), it looks like the roundtrip airfare for a nonstop flight on Alitalia is around $275, much better than the one-way fare you were quoted. Personally, I'd pay $100 extra to take a two hour flight instead of a 15 hour train ride.

If you are looking for low fare flight options between Paris and Rome, you could try booking two separate one-ways on UK no-frills carrier easyJet (www.easyjet.co.uk/): Paris to London and London to Rome. Alternatively, consider flying Italian budget carrier Meridiana (www.meridiana.it/english/) between Paris and Naples, and taking a short one hour and forty minute train ride from Naples to Rome.

For future reference, WhichBudget.com (www.whichbudget.com/?lang=en) is a great source for information about budget carriers in Europe. Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Alitalia site just came up with $276 for a rt.

http://www.alitaliausa.com/

Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:28 am

Condos in Rome vary greatly. Some are great for family stays, some are more for adult guests with antique furnishings. You may want to look more at neighborhoods. Rome can be very noisy at night.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you're crossing the pond on an airline in an alliance which has a member that flies that route, check their "Visit Europe" (by whatever name) fares. These are typically inexpensive, distance-based, can be purchased only in conjunction with a trans-Atlantic ticket on a member airline (though not necessarily at the same time), and must be purchased in North America before departure.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:02 am
Original Poster

I'm so impressed with all the quick responses you've provided. Your advises are invaluable. Keep them coming please!!!

I will follow up on the various recommedned routes from Paris to Rome. I think flying to Rome would be much better for my 74 year old mother.

BeautifulFeet: which neighborhood in Rome should I focus on? I was thinking of the Spanish Steps area. Are there other options I should look at?

Thanks again everyone! You're a great forum to be a part of.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:22 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andy:
I'm so impressed with all the quick responses you've provided. Your advises are invaluable. Keep them coming please!!!

I will follow up on the various recommedned routes from Paris to Rome. I think flying to Rome would be much better for my 74 year old mother.

BeautifulFeet: which neighborhood in Rome should I focus on? I was thinking of the Spanish Steps area. Are there other options I should look at?

Thanks again everyone! You're a great forum to be a part of.
</font>
My e-mail is in my profile. I may have some suggestionsl I look forward to hearing from you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.