Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

TSA still cutting locks?

TSA still cutting locks?

Old Apr 18, 2003, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
TSA still cutting locks?

I recently went on intl flight out of Terminal 3. After reading many posts about the use of locks on checked luggage, I asked 3 different TSA agents near the checkin counter if I needed to remove my locks on my luggage. I was more than willing to take them off and put them in my carryon. All three told me I didn't have to take the locks off. They had already checked my luggage through some kind of scanner. My bag was on the belt. They put one of those plastic tie wraps next to my lock. Cool I thought. When I arrive at my destination, my lock is gone while the tie wrap was still there. That pissed me off for two reasons.

1) I have TUMI luggage and those little locks are ridiculously expensive.

2) I spent effort asking 3 different TSA agents about the use of locks. I told them I didn't want them cut and that I was willing to take them off.

I am not probably not going to carry this to the next level. Urban legend or not, I don't want to be on any kind of airport blacklist as I have more trips in the near future. So, after my little bit of venting, just wanted to send out a FYI for those still using locks and flying out of ORD.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I gave up on locks when this all started. I use cable ties. Cheap!
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
I recommend privaseals available from magellans. Then you don't risk losing a high-quality lock while at the same time don't risk sending your bag through without a seal.
Old May 30, 2003, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Any updates on this practice?
Old May 31, 2003, 12:16 am

On a recent flight (AS, OAK-SNA-OAK the same day last month), I was told by TSA that I would not be allowed to put locks on my luggage, otherwise they would be removed.

Erik.
Old May 31, 2003, 11:03 am

They may remove my privaseals; I don't care. But one thing the TSA is not doing is locking or cable-tying any piece of luggage that goes through unlocked... just the pieces they open. So it is illogical to let your bags go through with an expensive lock, as well as no lock at all. Cable ties or privaseals are still the best way to go.
Old May 31, 2003, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but they're not cutting lox. You still have to go to the deli for those
Old Jun 1, 2003, 1:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
So what are they doing about folks legally transporting firearms in their luggage? Last time I checked, the requirement was that these must be put in a locked hardsided case.

As far as I know it is still legal to transport unloaded firearms in luggage, so this seems like a catch-22.
Old Jun 1, 2003, 3:24 pm

It's legal. The restriction is based airline-by-airline, not by the dept of homeland stupidity.

Thus, they are doing nothing about it. Guns can go in bags, as simple as that. It's HIGHLY unlikely that a declared gun in a hardsided case will be opened... explosives are DECLARED... that's the point.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:52 pm

Check here for checked baggage info.
hope this helps.
http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=53
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We cable-tie our bags with special day-glo colored ties. Recently, when the department of Fatherland Stupidity decided to look through my bag they neatly re-cable tied it with one of their own ties. The only problem was that the idiot^W dimwit^W highly-paid Fatherland employee doing the job tie-wrapped an empty compartment, thereby leaving the bag unlocked.

I've *asked* numerous times, particularly when there are very few other passengers around, to be able to check that my bag is locked after they are done doing their little dance with it. I've been rebuffed each time. They also try to make people feel like criminals if they even try to watch their bags go through the machinery. This has happened to me personally at NUMEROUS airports.

[This message has been edited by xyzzy (edited 06-03-2003).]
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Take the TSA to small claims court. If ALL PAX would do that, the policy of "unlocked checked bags" would go away.

Put them in LOCKED, get them locked. Put them in UNLOCKED, they come back UNLOCKED, NOT tied. If they need a chainsaw to break it open, well, they have to get one.

One thing i true. If they find something illegal, they have to find the PAX because he was told to leave. AHOLES! All of them!

SHADO
Old Jun 3, 2003, 6:30 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
Thus, they are doing nothing about it. Guns can go in bags, as simple as that. It's HIGHLY unlikely that a declared gun in a hardsided case will be opened... explosives are DECLARED... that's the point.</font>
There are several reasons I can think of for a bag containing a declared firearm to be searched:

1) Nothing would surprise me whn it comes to the knee-jerk ill thought out feel good measures that our government institutes with regard to security.

2) If carrying a declared firearm innoculates a bag from inspection, it becomes a useful technique for various categories of bad guys to transport evil things (altitude bomb, kilo of coke, unpopular speach . . .wait the last one is still legal).

3) The firearms declaration is always placed inside the bag, not outside. This is a reasonable step to discourage theft, but doesn't make it easy for the good guys to spot either.

Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:07 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
It's legal. The restriction is based airline-by-airline, not by the dept of homeland stupidity.

Thus, they are doing nothing about it. Guns can go in bags, as simple as that. It's HIGHLY unlikely that a declared gun in a hardsided case will be opened... explosives are DECLARED... that's the point.
</font>
Firearms need to be in a hardsided case which can be either the gun case itself or the luggage the gun and case are in. Or even both the individual gun case and the luggage.

In either case (pun) both the gun case and luggage need to be locked. I'm refering to handguns or broken down long guns in a short case. For long guns that are in a long case, the case itself must be hardsided and locked.

The firearm must be declared at the front ticket counter--though I've confirmed with some airlines that you can use the kiosk so long as you alert the baggage agent so she can have you sign the red tag.

The "red tag" in almost all situations will go inside the bag so as not to say "STEAL ME! THERE'S A GUN IN HERE" which is what happened in the past when the airlines put the "red tag" on the luggage handle.

In any event, if TSA needs to open a bag that contains a declared firearm, then they are *supposed* to find the owner. I would thing there'd be hell to pay if a locked bag with a firearm was opened and not relocked/sealed...especially if something happened to the firearm.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:14 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
But speaking of travelling and locks...

We went to the Bahamas over Memorial Day w/e and I have locks plus tamper proof seals on all our luggage. Check-in was a madhouse at 0630 but the one thing I hadn't planned on was being diverted from the US ticket counter to the TSA table. It seems they were "randomly" checking bags for int'l flights. However, the check was an ETD swab of the checked bags. I first verified with the TSA official that there was no need to unlock/unseal the bags (unless, of course they tested positive), they got swabbed and were then on their way.

In fact, the TSA agent asked where I got my seals because he wanted some for his own luggage for his trip over July 4 w/e!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.