Wiki Posts
Search

Where isn't Europe?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Where isn't Europe?

I need to leave the EU and return for visa reasons. What's the fastest/easiest/cheapest place I can go from BCN that will "count"? I've heard Andorra, which is a 2 hour drive, and ZRH, which can be had for around 200 EUR. Also Monaco. Nobody here is positive about any of these though.

Can someone offer insight? Thanks.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old May 30, 2003, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Switzerland certainly isn't - what about Tangier?

I'll have to check on Monaco and Andorra - they are somewhat special cases.

Edit: Member countries at

http://www.eurunion.org/states/home.htm

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old May 30, 2003, 6:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:
I need to leave the EU and return for visa reasons. What's the fastest/easiest/cheapest place I can go from BCN that will "count"? </font>
For visa reasons, you need to leave the Schengen zone, which includes 13 of the EU's 15 member states (along with Iceland and Norway.)

http://www.eurovisa.info/SchengenCountries.htm
Old May 30, 2003, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Thanks Blair and Sebastien! As I understand it, both Andorra and Switzerland would then qualify and my decision is really based on whether I want a roadtrip to the Branson of Europe or a flight to The Airport That Bang And Olufsen Built. Is this correct?

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old May 30, 2003, 6:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:
Thanks Blair and Sebastien! As I understand it, both Andorra and Switzerland would then qualify and my decision is really based on whether I want a roadtrip to the Branson of Europe or a flight to The Airport That Bang And Olufsen Built. Is this correct?</font>
I don't know who built the airport, but yes, you are correct as far as the visa is concerned. Just be sure they stamp your passport.
Old May 30, 2003, 7:04 am

Come on, give us a visit in ZRH! If you do come here, don't forget to ask for the stamp.
Old May 30, 2003, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
If you have to be sure that you have left Schengenland and then returned, Switzerland might be a safer bet than Andorra. Andorra is one of those funny places in Europe which may or may not quite be a sovereign state in its own right, and therefore has odd things about foreign relations, entry and exit, etc. Timatic has just returned this for a US passport holder:-
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">ANDORRA (AD)

To reach Andorra, travel must be either via France or Spain.

Andorra accepts any passport or passport replacing document valid for either France or Spain.

No visa requirements exist for Andorra. However, apply the relevant regulations of France or Spain (enter the code for France or Spain after "DE"), whichever must be transited to reach Andorra.</font>
And you get to visit michswiss.
Old May 30, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
You can go to Norway, which isn't a EU country.

I don't know if the Republic of San Marino would count. The same with Liechtenstein.
Old May 30, 2003, 1:26 pm

Easyjet flies BCN-GVA. Off-peak, probably the cheapest air ticket out of BCN.

Do insist on getting a stamp, as the Swiss never stamp passports which do not require visas to enter Switzerland.

[ed. to add: as mentioned by blair, Switzerland most certainly isn't a Schengen member]

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 05-30-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.