Wiki Posts
Search

Car rentals in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PrmEx
Car rentals in Frankfurt

I rented an Opel Vectra for a 2-week biz trip blitz around Europe in January. The FWD did nicely in the Swiss Alps....but it was a bit slow on the autobahn. The fastest I could get it was 180 km/h (108 mph). I have done performance driving schools.

I am going to the Frankfurt area for a trade show in mid June. I know that certain companies rent BMWs and Mercedes. Anyone know of how to get one for under 100 Euros per day?
Old May 29, 2003, 7:18 am

Try SIXT...just returned from Munich,where I rented a BMW 5-series for approx.E600.00/week...warning sticker in car said do not exceed 210K,however car was capable of exceeding that limit.
Car handled well on the autobahn and was quite an exhilirating experience.
Old May 29, 2003, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
In this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/009789.html

I mentioned some package "arrangements" that incorporate use of an Audi A8 (with unlimited Km) in conjunction with a suite or room stay at Arabella-Sheraton locations in Germany. I don't know if this would meet your needs, but the thought of a 330-horsepower V8 on the autobahn is nice indeed
Old May 29, 2003, 9:11 am

Definitely sixt, they offer performance cars at pretty good prices. Not to mention that they always seem to be brand new. In the last 10 or so rentals I have had for them over the years I have never had a car that had more than 500 or a 1000 KM on the clock when I received it.

The only thing is you should be pretty quick to book something as the only have a limited suppply and during tradeshows they can get booked up pretty quickly.
Old May 29, 2003, 1:23 pm
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
See also: http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/008972.html

Incidentally, I ended up renting a MB CLK230 (with the new body style) from Sixt. Great car, easily hit 250km/h on the 'bahn. Don't remember the price, but I think it was around 600 euros for the week.
Old May 29, 2003, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you are elite enough with Avis or Hertz you should get upgraded to a BMW or Benz even with a cheap corporate rate. I always do in France or Germany.
Old May 29, 2003, 6:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stimpy:
If you are elite enough with Avis or Hertz you should get upgraded to a BMW or Benz even with a cheap corporate rate. I always do in France or Germany.</font>

I have PC with Hertz and PS with Avis. I will be picking up a car in Munich on July 2 for 8 days for 3 of us. Do you recommend an airport location for greater selection or an off airport location to get a better rate? We will be taking the train in from Salzburg, do train stations have car rental companies in Europe (sorry for the ignorance on that one) Should I rent a full size to increase my chances of a better upgrade or just rent the lowest price car I can find? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old May 30, 2003, 12:35 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Train stations in Europe have rental car agencies - normally all the majors - Sixt, Avis, Hertz, Europcar are majors. German airports have additional fees for airport pick-up, just like the U.S. and Canada. Train station pickup in Germany also has additional charges while in-city pickup locations other than rail stations do not.

Normally, in Germany, there is no charge for airport drop-off after an in town pickup.

You might check out Auto Europe to determine if they have any guaranteed upgrade offers to insure the upgrade. The normally have agreements with Europcar and Avis-probably others as well. The only downside is that these rentals are prepaid, non-cancellable.
Old May 30, 2003, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
YMMV on upgrades. I have picked up at the train station in Munich before. I think I reserved a Hertz normal mid-to-upper size car and got a BMW 5-series. In my experience, haggling with the desk agent works very well in Europe. But politeness counts a whole lot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.