Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone re-thinking European vacation due to weak $ ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone re-thinking European vacation due to weak $ ?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2003, 8:25 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I know this is absolutely not helpful because I can't remember where I saw this, but to back up Rudi's statement I saw an ad recently where one hotel in France was giving away rooms for a night. There's a balance to everything. They need tourism and prices will come down to reflect that.

Old May 29, 2003, 10:50 am

I am not certain I should say this, but I have such ill feelings toward the French for the whole Iraq war thing that I do not think I would take a free room in Paris.
It is going to be awhile before I get into the frame of mind to enjoy their city.
Old May 29, 2003, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And I'm pretty sure nobody in Paris is going to miss you either... Not going to France because of "anti US sentiments" is pathetic. If you don't go to a country that disagrees with something your country has done then it's time to visit the local RV dealer because there are not going to be many places left...

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 05-29-2003).]
Old May 29, 2003, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Weak $? I travel to Europe at least a half dozen times a year with CDN$ and still enjoy every minute of it.
Old May 29, 2003, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
And it had nothing to do with whether the war was a good idea, but rather that they are jealous of American power and the fact that we don't give a rat's ... about their opinion. ...</font>

Yes, the anti-war sentiment in old Europe had nothing to do with the merits of the pre-emptive, unauthorized war itself; it was all about petty jealousy directed at American power!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I love Paris, but they won't be getting un franc until they apologize and admit the error of their ways. There are just too many other people that are competing for my business and haven't stabbed me in the back.</font>
Don't hold your breath - some countries have principles that they outline clearly and stick to. By the way, if you "don't give a rat's ... about their opinion", why are you so worked up about their anti-war stance in the first place? And why boycott countries who are just jealous and whose opinions don't even matter? What difference does it make anyhow?

Have a great summer elsewhere, though! Perhaps the "backstabbing" countries of which you speak might recognize "the error of their ways" once all of those weapons of mass destruction that were a clear and immediate threat to U.S. and world security turn up ... ?

Then again, maybe not.

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 05-29-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.