Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROM-DUB-LON advice please?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2003, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

ROM-DUB-LON advice please?

I need to fly ROM-DUB-LON, one-way in early June. Could anyone kindly recommend where/how I can find the best combination of price and least hassle?

- So far I'm exploring ROM-London(Stansted) one way on EasyJet, then a return London-Dublin on Aer Lingus or BA. But this means transferring from Stansted to Gatwick or Heathrow, which I'd like to avoid.

- Alternatively, one-way ROM-DUB on either Aer Lingus or Alitalia is pricing up at EUR200+ on Travelocity...

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Old May 20, 2003, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
EasyJet and Ryanair both fly from Rome to Stansted. Ryanair flies from Stansted to Dublin. That would avoid the airport change. See http://www.skyscanner.net/wings.asp .

Of course, although the prices may be good, both airlines come with a certain amount of built-in hassle and risk (misconnects, not accidents!). Why not just search the BA and EI websites and and see what combination of cheap round-trips comes up, and then throw away whatever you don't need to use?

[This message has been edited by Globaliser (edited 05-20-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 2:41 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Ryanair (uggh!) flies from Roma Ciampino (CIA) to Stanstead, Hahn and Charlesroi. Connections to DUB can be made from all three airports. Ugly, but might save you some money. Pleanty of hassle and poor schedule co-ordination.

You already know AZ and EI fly FCO-DUB. EUR200 is a fantastic oneway fare. And a reasonable return fare.

Air France and KLM offer a connecting service via CDG/AMS respectively which, very occasionally, can be quite cheap. Take a quick look, but don't waste too much time on these options. Do this by phone direct to the airlines, not on the net.

I'd also investigate charter flights from CIA if you really need to save money. Blue Panorama run language students on CIA-DUB from June to Sept.
Old May 20, 2003, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Actually, it looks like Ryanair doesn't fly from Hahn to Dublin.

Connections through Stansted are much better than Charleroi - lots of flights CIA-STN and STN-DUB.

The cheapest ROM-LHR fare I can pull up works out to about EUR 175, so it looks like this idea is going to be much more expensive than the low fare airlines. But at least you'll get looked after better if you misconnect.
Old May 20, 2003, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks Globaliser and GoldCircle.

As it stands right now, am planning AZ ROM-DUB and BD DUB-LHR. Costs somewhat more than FR (Ryanair) but hopefully worth it in time and hassle....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.