Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA to Manhattan - car services

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2003, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

LGA to Manhattan - car services

OK, I've got another person looking for car service from LGA to downtown Manhattan.

I found several services quoting $45 + 20% gratuity + parking + tolls.

Does anyone have a car service they would reccomend? Any to stay away from? How much should it be including parking and tolls? Anything to watch for or be concerned about?

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 9:58 pm

Pretty standard.

If you want the driver to pick you up inside the terminal, aka hold sign at luggage claim area, $4 for the parking (<30 minutes). Tolls are $3.50 from to Manhattan, except if they take the 59th Street bridge, but almost no driver will want to take that. The cost of the ride would then be dependent on the car service you use. Some companies have negotiated rates at a discount. At any rate, unless it is a stretch limo, it should be between $30-$45 for the ride.

A grand total of at least $30 to $52.50. 10-20% tips for car services is customary.

A taxi from LGA will run you $20-$30 plus tolls and tips, depending on traffic and distance of final destination. Compare this to a flat fare of $35 plus tolls and tips from JFK.

Car services include:
Tel Aviv 777-7777
Carmel 666-6666
XYZ
Concord

Tel Aviv and Carmel are cheaper, but their cars are also older.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:05 pm

I have used Carmel many times in the past to get between my home in Manhattan and LGA/JFK; they have been very good, always early and never a missed appt. Depending on the time that you need to be picked up, you may qualify for their off-peak rates, which are $27 from LGA to anywhere in Manhattan + toll + tip. Their web site is at http://carmelcarservice.com.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Previous discussion about car service which might be helpful for you. Can you tell this is a popular topic?

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000078.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000865.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/008914.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/005325.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000094.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000021.html
Old Apr 23, 2003, 11:26 pm

Can someone explain to me the fascination with car services for getting to/from the airport rather than using a cab? Referring to personal use, not contracted corporate use.

$45 + parking, etc ?? Is showing up in a black town-car that "important"?

FWIW, I have heard that Boston Coach is a cut above the rest. $79 base rate.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:00 am

to lqdnitin

I guess many people find cabs too dirty or grungy or something. I agree that a town car is more comfortable, but to me, the hassle of meeting the driver (not to mention the added expense) is worse than the discomfort of a cab.

FWIW, last time I took a cab from Manhattan to LGA, the base fare was around $15 (early on a Sunday morning).
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lqdnitin:
Can someone explain to me the fascination with car services for getting to/from the airport rather than using a cab? Referring to personal use, not contracted corporate use.</font>
I'm not sure about "fascination" but I like knowing that when I arrive, I can get out of the airport as soon as possible. The cab lines at LGA and JFK can be up to an hour long. Sure there are times when the line is 1-2 people but I would have to have a crystal ball to know when there will be short lines. Since we have no effective subway system (I love Heathrow!) in and out of the airports, I depend on car service.

Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:58 am

Programs: Level 5 Kayaker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lqdnitin:
[B]Can someone explain to me the fascination with car services for getting to/from the airport rather than using a cab? [B]</font>
Some factors that tend to favor the use of a car service:

1) Lots of luggage. I've seen everything short of a corpse in taxi trunks. Livery cars tend to have empty and cleaner trunks.

2) Location/day/time of day. Hailing a cab on Thanksgiving eve, early morning on a sidestreet in the Village, during shift change, etc. ain't a quick or sure thang. Or if you live in a borough other than Manhattan.

3) It's raining. No cab for you!

4) Saner drivers. Some cabbies are absolutely the best, though.

5) EWR is your destination.

6) As Analise noted, taxi lines at the airport can be long, depending on time, day, or happenstance. The later in the evening you arrive, the more a car service makes sense.

7) Ability to pay with a credit card. (This is improving with yellow cabs.)

8) Impatience/tight schedule. Prearranged airport transport is one less thing to worry about in the flurry of departing.

Me? I choose a taxi or a car service depending on the circumstances.

Old Apr 24, 2003, 10:43 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Can someone explain to me the fascination with car services for getting to/from the airport rather than using a cab? Referring to personal use, not contracted corporate use.</font>
Sometimes the line for taxi's is very long. Ususlly during those times it's also snowing, raining, or late at night. Paying an extra few dollars to have a car service waiting for you inside the terminal, somebody to help with the luggage, etc is at times very much worth it.

Old Apr 24, 2003, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I find I get better service with limo service, like help with luggage and such. I also get to relax with a nice cool drink from the minbar to/from airport. They also keep track of flights for arrivals so I guess it does make it more "valuable" for me. I also just like the way they look vs. cabs.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had some interesting experiences with Carmel and Tel Aviv (they are essentially identical services so I tend to confuse them). Once, the driver got into a fender-bender, commenced yelling at the other driver in Farsi -- who yelled back in Farsi -- and then we sped away at high speed to avoid making an accident report!

I would not expect more from Carmel or TelAviv than I would from a taxi, including having to wait on arrival for a car. They will not wait for you even if you want to pay extra. But since they cost about the same as a taxi, that isn't too surprising.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:08 pm

Location: New Jersey - EWR JFK under duress LGA if all else fails. Anywhere my services are needed
Programs: CO PLAT, HHonors Diamond, Marriot Silver, AA nothing didnt see a diifference as gold :P
Just a note on these car services. one of thier big scam is if you ask for a "towncar" you will get a nice lincoln ... for 65$

But if you ask for a "sedan" or "economy car" it will usually run you closer to 30-35$

this is a costly mistake to make.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fishkill:
Just a note on these car services. one of thier big scam is if you ask for a "towncar" you will get a nice lincoln ... for 65$

</font>

How is that a scam? I thought everyone pretty much considered a "towncar" to be a Lincoln Town Car or maybe a nice, large Cadilac.
Old Apr 24, 2003, 8:41 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Y_me?:
Some factors that tend to favor the use of a car service:

5) EWR is your destination.

</font>

Could you please elaborate on that? I am flying to EWR and need to get to Waldorf Astoria dor a weekend. Would a car service be a better option? What is a price difference between taxi and a car service on that route? What abour about a route back? Thanks!

Old Apr 24, 2003, 9:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by asnovici:
Could you please elaborate on that? I am flying to EWR</font>
The comment refers to the fact that NYC taxis are not allowed to pick up rides FROM EWR, so to be dropped at EWR, you have to pay the return fare to NYC city limit, plus tolls, etc. Fair enough.

The rip-off is that the car services charge you the return toll ($6-8) also, eventhough they don't have the same restrictions as taxis. They basically double-charge this toll. SCAM!

To answer your other question, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/airports/ft...ML/000081.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.