Wiki Posts
Search

Paris to Cannes Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WWMFD
Paris to Cannes Advice Needed

Looks like I have to suffer through a business trip to Cannes the week of 3/3. I've secured a $345 rt JFK-CDG & a $285 CDG-NCE air package. Looking for advice on how to get from Nice to Cannes & any hotel recommendations for Cannes (3/3-9). The trip is for a large convention so hotels may be limited, but any advice is welcome.

Life gets tough, but I get tanner....

kmc
Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:28 pm

Location: NYC, NY, AA Gold since 1991, finally Plat in 2002!, HH Silver
Hi, you may want to try the helicopter shuttle services. If already booked at a hotel, just ask concierge to arrange for you (don't remember the names of the companies, there are 3 that fly out of Nice airport). Very very short ride but you don't worry about possibility of being caught in traffic on the narrow, windy road btwn the two cities... happens at weird hours, difficult to predict best driving time.
On the other hand, it depends on how comfortable you are w. the whole helicopter thing. I once flew on one from Nice to Monaco where the heli was the equivalent of a Rolls Royce, and then one month later flew (same company) on one that was the equivalent of a Russian-made Yugo. That was not pleasant. They leave very regularly, worst case scenario pass on one that looks older than you are...

other suggetions much appreciated as well, especially from those who have driven the distance often.

------------------
Old Feb 21, 2003, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

blondelatin:
Thanks!
I don't think that Igor Sikorsky was born before I was, so the thought of a heli older than me is scary!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:00 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
We took a taxi from NCE to Cannes (Inter-Continental Hotel), and it cost about $75.00. Driver must have taken the scenic route because on the return from Cannes to NCE, it was only $50.00. It doesn't hurt to ask the fare first before getting into the cab.

Have fun!

belle

Edit to add:

p/s You do know that Delta flies non-stop JFK-NCE, right?

[This message has been edited by belle3388 (edited 02-21-2003).]
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

belle3388:

Bien, merci! Je dois contacter le delta.com!

kmc
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
kmc,
If you are traveling by yourself the helicopter is a reasonable cost option. The fare is ~70 euros, iirc. Hours of operation are limited.

Hi belle.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Mon Dieu! JFK/NCE direct @ $358 r/t.

Merci, ma belle(amour)3388!!!!

kmc
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Train? It's only 40 minutes from Nice to Cannes, and you can go further down the route and visit Monaco.

The Nice aipport web site has a section on the train service:
http://www.nice.aeroport.fr/acces_st...s/trafic_r.asp

Or you can get schedule info on the Deutsche Bahn English site:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

I stayed in Menton when I was there 2 years ago, just further down the same train line.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Jerry!

Unfortunately, my last helicopter ride was in a Sea Ranger that blew out both engines @ 6,000 ft. We had a quiet drop for a few hundred feet before the crew managed to re-start the one engine. Kind of took my appetite away for chopper work.

OTOH, I'm not so sure that my left-hand driving skills on the Nice-Cannes roadway will be any safer!

kmc
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Tom:

Sounds like the best way to go, thanks!

Regards to natalie...

kmc
Old Feb 21, 2003, 8:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
You have 3 options -

Bus is the cheapest, easy from the airport, depends on where your hotel is located.

Taxi is 50 to 70 Euro depending on hotel location.

Helicopter works well for certain hotels. Same problem as bus for others...

Most of the major hotels are located fairly close to each other, so if in one of those, you are OK with options.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
You might have done a little better with TGV rail from Paris down to Nice (about 4 hours). I've done that before. A first class rail pass for any 4 days in a month is $252, and second class, which I had, is $218. You might want to keep that in mind for next trip. There is TGV service in the train station right next to terminal 2 at CDG.
http://www.ricksteves.com/rail/france.htm

I remember when the PIP was being planned in Nice that people were getting RT fares for around $100 Paris-Nice, so even that might have been doable.

Natalie will be swimming at Pac 10's outside Seattle starting Thursday (3 days). I'm driving up and doing some touring/visiting along the way.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 8:48 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I have done the train before but I originated in Milan and took the train from here all along the French riviera. If I were entering via the airport as you are I think I would opt for the helicopter ride.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.