Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The bliss of taking the stairs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2002, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The bliss of taking the stairs

A nice piece in today's Dallas Morning News bemoaning the replacement of stairs from the tarmac with jetways.

http://www.dallasnews.com/travel/oth...col.24ad9.html
Old Nov 17, 2002, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I understand the writers sentiments jetways are a great way to get off the plane quickly, dry and without having to drag baggage down stairs...
Old Nov 17, 2002, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing brings back the wonder and excitment of travel to the forefront of my mind, quicker than exiting a 747 by stairs and standing on the ground looking up at that baby.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 5:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
jetways are a great way to get off the plane quickly, dry and without having to drag baggage down stairs...</font>
Alas, you can not do this at San Jose, CA on United. They don't have any jetways in that terminal (I've walked up or down the stairs there many times during our rainy season).

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:57 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
It's called an umbrella.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 8:24 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Nothing brings back the wonder and excitment of travel to the forefront of my mind, quicker than exiting a 747 by stairs . . .</font>
. . . with 2 heavy pieces of handcarry and a tired body after a 14 hour trip across the Pacific.

Used to do this a lot in NRT back when NW would let their B744s "sleep" in NRT for the night. These days, NW sends them on for intra-Asia flights.

- Pat
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tom911:
Alas, you can not do this at San Jose, CA on United. They don't have any jetways in that terminal (I've walked up or down the stairs there many times during our rainy season).

</font>
When I'm at SJC I'm usually at the newer Terminal A, which does have jetways.

Another airport I fly to often, BUR (Burbank) has no jetways at all.

Ed

Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Nothing brings back the wonder and excitment of travel to the forefront of my mind, quicker than exiting a 747 by stairs and standing on the ground looking up at that baby.</font>
Equally impressive is leaving a 777 via the rear door, just under the vertical tailfin. That thing is BIG!
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:11 pm

That is what I love at Cape Town airport. You have to walk to your aircraft and see this huge 747 in front of you. Very impressing each time.

Tim
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum39/HTML/001079.html from Virgin Blue. Speaks for itself.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I always enjoy getting into planes that don't use a jet bridge *or* stairs. Just a little step up point. And maybe walking on the wing.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:19 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
The only time I like using stairs during air travel is when I'm walking up to business class on a 747

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:44 am

I guess you have to love the beauty of the plane to really enjoy walking beneath/beside such fantastic machines.

Give me the steps.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 7:39 pm
alm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I rather enjoy walking to the plane outside (weather permitting). It's nice to get a breath of fresh air before boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.