Wiki Posts
Search

Sick bag etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: All the best ones.
Sick bag etiquette

There was a man vomitting in the next seat to me, he filled one sick bag and I couldn't find another. I called the FA-purser, she came with a new bag but refused to discard the full-one explaining that it "should be placed on the floor" - to run into the carpets and peoples bags. Do you think the FA should discard full sick-bags, rather than allow them to spill around the cabin?
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:22 am

Yikes! I'm not a doctor, but I could think this is also a health hazard if the person was vomiting for some reason other than motion sickness.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this isn't UA specific, please continue to follow in Travel Buzz.

--------------------
cblaisd
Moderator,
Coupon Connection and United forums
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:39 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
On the floor? That's disguisting.

A gentleman sitting behind me got sick on a flight two weeks ago and the FA very graciously collected the used sick bag, discarded it, and provided new ones....
Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I would have thought the correct action by the FA would be to bring a plastic trash bag, have the passenger place the sick bag inside that, then the FA could tie the bag and put it in the galley trash.

John
Old Nov 9, 2002, 2:21 pm

The correct procedure is to swing the full bag repeatedly over your head in a great circle until it is empty.

No actually I think SoFlyOn got it right.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 3:18 pm

Simply sell it as a Hotzi Bistro Bag to the highest bidder. As there aren't many hot meals anymore, should bring a nice price.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Mr.Bean showed us what to do with them in his movie...
Old Nov 9, 2002, 6:57 pm

That episode of Mr Bean was certainly very funny.
It is however a serious problem when someone 'misses' the sick bag. On a transatlantic flight I was on a child completely missed the bag and the cabin stank for the rest of the trip. The problem was that the stench actually made more poeple sick.
I don't think the magic curtain stopped the smells from going forward to J and A either.
Yuk!
Old Nov 9, 2002, 8:30 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I would think that handling used barf bags is one of the flight attendants (many) unpleasant duties.

If he or she didn't take care of it right away, I'd raise a stink. (No pun intended.)
Old Nov 9, 2002, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by eastwest:
I would think that handling used barf bags is one of the flight attendants (many) unpleasant duties.

If he or she didn't take care of it right away, I'd raise a stink. (No pun intended.)
</font>
I remember overhearing two Continental flight attendants speaking on a flight a few years ago. One of them said something to the effect of "a passenger just got sick and asked me to take his air sickness bag. Can you believe that? I told him that wasn't my job and he should just get up and drop it in the rest room trash."

At the time, I was pretty surprised at her unsympathetic/hostile attitude.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I've seen the very method that SoFlyOn described used at least twice.
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
ON DL a couple of weeks ago. No need for a bag. A pax ran into FC bathroom to vomit. Oops, the FA was in there, with door closed but unlocked, emptying the coffee pot prior to landing. She acted as this pax's airsick bag. Fortunately, she had a change of uniform. Yuk. Wherever the bags go, at least try to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.