Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should the Hotel Compensate You For a 3AM Fire alarm?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should the Hotel Compensate You For a 3AM Fire alarm?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anonplz:
No, folks, it is not totally ridiculous.

In the same way that slipping and falling and hurting yourself on the hotel's property could make them legally liable for paying for treatment for your injuries, it is also true that inconveniencing guests due to negligence or malice on the part of your guests or staff makes you legally liable.
</font>
Umm, no.

If you slip on patch of ice because the hotel didn't shovel the sidewalk, that's worthy of a lawsuit.

If you spill a drink and then slip and crack your head on the toilet because that was your 15th drink, you'll get laughed out of court.

If you request anti-slip mats for the shower, and the hotel doesn't provide it, and you slip in the shower, that's liability.

If you go into the shower after the 15th drink and slip, nobody other than your insurance company will care, and they'd probably laugh their heads off too.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:22 am

Okay, so that just proves the point, i.e., you can't say, black or white, yes, compensation is always due, or no, compensation is never due, oui?

I just think you flyertalkers don't appreciate the full richness of life......
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Both times that this has happened to me the hotel did absolutely nothing to at least acknowledge that I was extremely inconvenienced by the false fire alarms. I think the least the hotel could of done was to slip a note under ever door acknowledging that we (guests) were inconvienced and they are sorry for this but they would rather error on the side of safety or something to that extent. It’s the fact that they totally ignore the fact that we had to get up and exit the building at 3AM that gets me.

------------------
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:16 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">So what do you do when the alarm goes off at 3:00am?</font>
This question is pretty interesting. When the fire alarms have gone off at hotels I've been in, I immediately assumed they were false alarms, which they were, and put pillows over my head and tried to get back to sleep. When I think about it, my reaction is kind of disturbing. I certainly didn't hear any other folks racing out of the hotels and so assume they were doing the same thing. I guess if it was followed up by sirens I'd respond differently. Are we all pretty much conditioned to ignore these things or is it just me?
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:25 pm

Let me say this: I used to work for a large organization with offices all over, and apparently, the DC office had false bomb scares "all the time." Yet, the office was always evacuated, as thought it were the real thing.

I guess if I heard an alarm, I would call the front desk. But, upon arrival, before I even put my bags in my room, I do check to see where the fire escape is. Probably a fear related to my working in office buildings in Manhattan.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
Are we all pretty much conditioned to ignore these things or is it just me? </font>

Nope: also me and judging by the small number of people I actually see respond to a fire alarm I think you and I are not alone at all.

It is amazing to see how little people actually react to a fire alarm (inclusing me) in the way it is exepcted by emergency services. We had one in the office last week (not a drill, a fals alarm): people just looked at eachother and continued working.
Disturbing fact, now that I think baout it...
Old Oct 24, 2002, 1:34 pm

There's a very easy way to make sure 3am fire alarms don't bother you. Namely, stay out past 3am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:23 am

Yes a fire alarm in the middle of the night isn’t ideal, however having worked in many hotels the alarm systems are in place for your safety, the sensors are very fragile and sensitive on any fire alarm system. A spider climbing into the sensor can easily trigger a false alarm, or if a window is open and the wind blows dust into the sensor.

in my opinion compensation isn’t in order unless it was ringing for the night. If there was actually a fire or reason to evacuate the building would you be looking for compensation? I really think the fact you where to get out alive and well would be compensation in the highest regard.

Each business has different fire alarm procedures, in Ireland the most common appears to be that if an alarm is raised it will be silanced and investigated, in the need of an evaluation the alarm will then go into full bells and the team would proceed with evacuating guests and staff if safe to do so.

In the event of a full evaluation of course the hotel would compensation when appropriate.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Welcome to FT, hubertcrvn .

My own experience in this area is limited to 3 events, one was guests smoking in a non-smoking area, next was some teens setting off the alarm on purpose and the last one couldn't be explained. All happened between between 01.40 and 03.45 am. No mention of compensation in any of these incidents, although there was definitely no hotel responsibility in the first two cases.

Just a little word of advice. Resurrecting a 17 year old thread might be frowned upon here by some fellow posters.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by onobond
Welcome to FT, hubertcrvn .

My own experience in this area is limited to 3 events, one was guests smoking in a non-smoking area, next was some teens setting off the alarm on purpose and the last one couldn't be explained. All happened between between 01.40 and 03.45 am. No mention of compensation in any of these incidents, although there was definitely no hotel responsibility in the first two cases.

Just a little word of advice. Resurrecting a 17 year old thread might be frowned upon here by some fellow posters.
Yes, that is quite true Therefore, I am closing this thread and if anyone wishes to start a more current discussion on this topic, please feel free to do so.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.