Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Use it or lose it

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Use it or lose it

I normally fly every week, but have not flown for the last couple of weeks and have been out of the "news" loop because of an unexpected death in the family.

To my knowledge, my company has not weighed in on this issue to its employees (although, since I hve been out for two weeks, I have not gotten through all of the e-mail), but, since I am a consultant who flies to the client every week, I would assume that this "use it or lose it" policy will cost my corporate clients a lot of money.

I have been in this position since 1999 and initially flew fully refundable fares because of the uncertainties in my schedule and the small difference in the cost between fully refundable and non-refundable fares. As the difference between refundable and non-refundable fares as increased (at least in the areas to which I fly), I have changed to the non-refundable fares, with the knowledge that I can pay a fee and utilize the tickets in the future if that need arose.

Now the airlines that have asked for and received my tax dollars after September 11 and have removed any semblance of service from their flights are going to charge me a fee or cancel my ticket altogether if I arrive late for the flight or if I want to get on an earlier flight that has seats available.

We frequent flyers have endured a great deal as a result of September 11, but have continued to fly (in my case, almost every week). We are the bread and butter to the airline industry that says "after September 11, we don't have enough passengers," yet the airline industry continues to make it more difficult for frequent flyers to fly in a manner acceptable to clients, etc. or even in a manner that provides a decent meal.
Old Sep 8, 2002, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That's right, femaleflyer, the unions and management come before the customer, because everybody knows, worst-case scenario, the taxpayer will bail them out. Maybe taxpayers should contact their representatives and demand accountability...

[This message has been edited by anonplz (edited 09-08-2002).]
Old Sep 8, 2002, 7:26 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Previously...
Someone arrives at the airport early, or plans on taking an earlier flight. He stands by and gets on. Later, his original flight is oversold. More people can get on before bumping happens.

Now...
Knowing that there is a fee for flying out early, people don't plan on coming to the airport early just in case the ticket agent slips them through without collecting the fee. When flights are oversold, more people are bumped.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

On practically every trip I either stand by early or volunteer.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 09-08-2002).]
Old Sep 9, 2002, 10:53 am

Once again, the airlines acting as a monopoly, have decided to further alienate more travellers with additional fees and rules that only benefit their bottom line. It seems amazing to me that with all the Emails that they send out about all the wonderful sales and mileage opportunities, they have sent absolutely no communications about these rule changes. The first time many poeple will find out about them, is when they do not make their flight, and later go to rebook, only to find out their ticket is completely worthless. Can anyone think of ANY consumer product with such restrictions? Soon the Airlines will get what they want: full fare customers- All 5 per flight, and lots of NRSA seats.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I was wondering if anyone would bring up the taxpayer bailout. I have had a complete change of heart of bailing out the airlines. I was for it until the airlines started this screw the customer campaign. Now I am one who has written my congressman to voice my opinion against any more bailouts. I have had enough of the airlines trying to take money out of my pocket directly and indirectly (tax dollars).. its time to speak up against further bailouts. Just my 2 cents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.