Reload this Page >

FLY FREE Sept.11 Spirit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLY FREE Sept.11 Spirit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2002, 5:00 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
I am guessing there is a chance that more flights will open up after midnight.

My reason for thinking this is that the free fares require instant tktg... and agents holding space which is not tktd today... will be cxld by NK tonite.

The FLL-DEN flights mentioned above still show available BTW.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Call me a party pooper, but doesn't anyone out there find this marketing and publicity stunt/promotion the least bit distastefull? Taking advantage of a national tragedy to futher your company's presence in the marketplace?...And if it was to celebrate the American Spirit, I would have chosen to celebrate that on a different date.</font>
Well, you make a good point. Having said that, who cares why? I will never forget going to work on 9/11, having just written out checks to my creditors to mail, and on the bus, seeing both towers burning while still standing tall as I gazed across the park in Brooklyn where I live, and I shouted, "Oh, My God!" I didn't believe I was going to fly 9/11 this year, being frightened from flying as much as I normally do. Thanks to Spirit Air, I am going to forget about it, thumb my nose at terrorists, and enjoy myself (I got a ticket to Ft. Lauderdale - hooray!). I'm looking forward to it, gonna sleep all day, go out to the beach at night and watch the waves and maybe meet some new friends, and while it certainly is a commercial attempt on Spirits' part to expand market share, I'm taking advantage and in this way, I'm helping myself get over my fear of flying. Opportunities present themselves in the most weird situations.
Old Aug 7, 2002, 6:44 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
PremEx, you have missed an important point they are making:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">... to the millions of Americans who have refused to give up this basic right."</font>
(emphasis added)

That's correct, we have the RIGHT to travel by common carrier and rent a hotel room. Driving a car is a privilege, not a right, but buying an airline ticket is a right of the people of a free nation. What you call a shameless plug is what I treasure as a free USA citizen.

(edited for UBB screwup)

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 08-07-2002).]
Old Aug 7, 2002, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">... to the millions of Americans who have refused to give up this basic right."</font>
But js, this is not what they did!

If they had rewarded folks that had been true flyers that refused to give up their right to fly, that would have been a noble goal. But that's not what they did.

And what about all the ones that got free tickets that never flew after (or perhaps before for that matter) September 11?

There was never any threat to anyones "right" to fly on September 11th of this year, was there?

I'm flying on September 11th. I excercised my right to buy a ticket, long before anyone needed to entice me with a freebie.

The issue is using the first anniversary of a tragic event like this, to push forward a transparent scheme to publicize your airline, and claim that the real reason you are doing it for the good of the people and to get people flying again.

If they were afraid of flying, a free ticket's not going to calm their fears! And how many of those that are afraid, were lucky enough to snag one of these?

I would wager the ones that pounded the web site were mainly those that couldn't wait to get onboard an airline!

Most that aren't flying are doing so for a variety of reasons, the least being fear, IMHO. Economic downturn, being the main one. And the drop in loads for the 11th? Some want to stay home in a day of rememberance. Don't feel right running off to go water skiing on that day, even if they feel it might seem that they are giving the terrorists what they want. I can understand that.

And I can understand anyone that does want to fly off for some fun in the sun that day. More power to 'em. Don't let the terrorist score another point.

My issue is not about the passenger's motives! I'm talking about the airline's motives...the why, how (and when) they "promoted" this deal.

Just read the Press Releases. Plug, plug, plug.

I say that's BS on the part of Spirit, and will probably be BS on the part of every other company that tries to jump on this bandwagon. Just read that hotel Press Release above. Shameful, IMHO. And there will be many more.

There's a dignified way to accomplish these same "goals," if that's what the company really wanted to do.

IMHO.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:

Call me a party pooper, but doesn't anyone out there find this marketing and publicity stunt/promotion the least bit distastefull?

Taking advantage of a national tragedy to futher your company's presence in the marketplace?

Leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
</font>

This is the exact way I feel about Bruce Springsteen right now. As I saw him making the rounds all over broadcast TV to hawk his new CD, I found him using the tragedy and the murder of over 3000 innocent lives by the terrorists as a reason to release his newest CD after several years of no new work. He was inspired by the deaths as he said countless times. INSPIRED? I have not heard one word about how any of the profits from his new CD are going to those who suffered. Not even a small percentage. If I'm wrong, show me the URL with that info, and I'll take it all back.

This to me is taking advantage of a national tragedy. Whatever he gave in the fall, heck, we all did. I would imagine those with far less money than he has gave a lot more percentage-wise than he did. Of course, I can't prove that. Anyhow, past donations do not excuse his vast financial gains on the graves of those who were murdered. Sure people are buying. People are also flying Spirit for free on September 11.

Anyhow, you mentioned your disgust with Spirit. My disgust is with the so-called "Boss" himself.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 4:43 pm
JS
Suspended

... There's a dignified way to accomplish these same "goals," if that's what the company really wanted to do.

IMHO.
</font>
Then what would you suggest?
Old Aug 8, 2002, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First, I would rethink and make sure of my true goals.

But if they insisted on what was stated in their current Press Release...I can think of dozens of different ways to do this. Just one example:

Email or snail mail your customers. Place a dignified banner/mention on your web site.

Your customers will see it. Your customers are more likely to take advantage of it this way (as one of the reasons you say is that it's a "thanks" for continuing to fly).

Yes, it may take 3 days instead of 3 hours to "sell out" but what does that matter?

Do not issue a Press Release!! If the media catches wind (oh, and they will) and calls and asks what's up, you address it in a dignified manner without any ancilliary plugs or other mentions of your normal services.

You say:

"We're not doing this for publicity. We're doing this as a true and sincere thank you to our customers and other Americans who haven't let the horrible events of September 11 last year interfere with the American way of life that we hold so dear."

"And air transportation is a part of that life, especially for many of our customers."

"We can't think of a better place to observe and remember that tragic day last year, than flying across our free skies. We know many Americans have that wish. And we at Spirit are grateful we are able to contibute these free flights on this day of rememberance, to help make those wishes come true for so many."

Or...

Or...
Old Aug 8, 2002, 8:04 pm
JS
Suspended

PremEx, that's a good idea in theory, but corporations always issue press releases specifically to avoid the media spreading news for them.

At my place of work, I get an e-mail of every press release my company sends out. I get one of these every few days, yet only once a month or so do I see it in the newspaper. You can't have too many press releases.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">PremEx, that's a good idea in theory, but corporations always issue press releases specifically to avoid the media spreading news for them.</font>
I disagree.

Companies do not always issue press releases to avoid the media spreading news for them.

Most companies issue Press Releases to specifically draw the attention of the media to what they are doing, for their own gain.

If you really believe that these folks did this out of the goodness of their hearts and not to get maximum publicity for their company...I have a bridge to sell you.

They not only issued Press Releases, but had their media reps calling every game in town. TV, radio, print, cyber. Always with the plug just after the "patriotic" mumble jumble:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Spirit Airlines is the largest privately-held airline in the U.S. With a fleet of modern aircraft for scheduled and charter service, Spirit brings low fares and friendly service to Atlantic City, N.J., Chicago/O'Hare, Denver, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Myrtle Beach, S.C., New York/LaGuardia, Oakland, Calif., San Juan, Puerto Rico and the Florida cities of Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Orlando, Tampa and West Palm Beach (seasonal service). Spirit's website is www.spiritair.com. </font>

...blah, blah, blah.

Sales pitch always attached. Distastful, undignified, and a cheap and sleezy attempt to take advantage of something horrible. IMHO.

To me, it's a bit like going to a funeral and being forced to hear a sales pitch from the casket maker. Today's funeral is brought to you by HeavenlyBed® The Ultimate in Eternal Comfort™ Call 1-800-ETERNAL now, for a quote. Our operators are standing by. Or, visit our web site at...

This isn't the 4th of July, where we celebrate the signing of the document of our nation's independence. Lot's of ads and plugs and sales on that day! Fine. It's a joyous day!

This is more like December 7th. You don't see folks lighting fireworks and having celebrations and sales on that day.

Because it was a tragedy where thousands died. And there is nothing to celebrate about that.

It's a day of observance. And Spirit is turning it into a Press Event for their own gain. IMHO.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-08-2002).]
Old Sep 5, 2002, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spirit continues to hawk their "patriotic" spirit via media hacks and press events. Check out their latest:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020904/42394_1.html

Old Sep 6, 2002, 6:03 pm
JS
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">from the press release:
"Every greeted passenger will receive a lapel pin of the American flag"</font>
And what will PremEx be handing out on September 11? Posters of "Patriotic NOT Spirit Airlines"?

I can't believe you bothered to update this stupid thread with a link to a press release. Are you doc's replacement?

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 09-06-2002).]
Old Sep 6, 2002, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pleased to answer.

After much advance planning, PremEx will be handing out dozens of Pilot Bears and plastic see-through aircraft filled with foil covered chocolate balls, foil decorated in red, white and blue stars and stripes for U.S. crewmembers and ground employees, and world globe design for all non U.S. United personnel (as I'm flying from Singapore and Tokyo, and I'm expecting non U.S. employess).

I actually have to check my garment bag on the September 11th flights, as my Santa sack will be my carryon. My first checked luggage in years!!

I am enlisting essxjay to help with the good wishes as she is sitting next to me on these flights.

At the Four Points LAX now awaiting my departure tomorrow morning, and am looking forward to attempting to show my gratitude and support for the United employees that are working on what must be a very difficult day to be flying.

The fact that they are working and flying on this day, is gratitude enough for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.