The diaper incident

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The diaper incident

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:23 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
1. Change the baby using the toilet seat in any of the lav's, but with the door open and your body partway out or all the way out.

2. Change the baby on the floor just inside one of the airplane doors, plenty of room there.

Babies should not be changed on the seats or tray tables because of the danger of getting filth all over in case of turbulence.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 08-25-2002).]
Old Aug 22, 2002, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

"Change the baby on the floor just inside one of the airplane doors, plenty of room there."

That is one that I agree with....
Old Aug 22, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by classy:
How ridiculous it is to think that the Lav is or maybe too dirty for the baby to be changed in!</font>
Are you kidding?? I don't care if it's the toilet seat, the toilet lid or the floor, airplane lavatories are incredibly unsanitary places--yes, far worse than the seat you're sitting on and, given the high traffic level, far worse than airport bathrooms as well.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gottigotti:
ok preparing for the flames....

maybe infants shouldn't fly.

My personal opinion is that baby changing, breast feeding, etc. should be done in private as it is something I do not want to see, espicially in business class.
</font>
OK--I don't want to sound harsh here, but perhaps you are the one who shouldn't be flying if your tender sensibilities are so easily offended?

In a perfect world, airplanes would be family friendly, with separate, private areas for breast-feeding and/or changing an infant and, therefore, you wouldn't have to be exposed to this, but (surprise!) this isn't a perfect world. Infants are people too and there are valid reasons why parents with infants sometimes need to fly. I suspect they aren't any more wild about the idea than you are about having them sit next to you. Traveling with young children is a huge hassle from beginning to end.

Come on folks. I think we all agree that this particular mother didn't handle the situation as well as she could have, but let's not turn this into an attack on traveling parents/babies in general. Perhaps a little more empathy and understanding is in order? I'm not suggesting all babies should be changed on airplane seats but why is your need not to smell poop for 5 minutes more important than a parent/infant's need for an appropriate and sanitary changing area? If there *is* a more appropriate area, the parent should obviously try to use it but at the same time, wouldn't it be nice if we could all be a little more tolerant and try to think about a child's needs before our own minor annoyances?

Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:02 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
I have never had to face this problem personally, but I know for sure that I have never seen an airplane bathroom that was appropriate for changing a baby.

It will be curious to see if opinions might change when it is one's own two month old infant that is about to be relegated to an airplane toilet seat during changing.
</font>
Personally, I think the issue here is less about who the child belongs to and more about whether the parent knows better or not.
Old Aug 24, 2002, 10:08 pm

Get a grip. Somebody changed your diapers once upon a time and if you are very, very lucky there will be somebody around who cares enough about you to manage that task should you happen to need that assistance down the line. What goes around, comes around, donchaknow.

][/QUOTE]

I like my grip just fine--thanks so much--and I would also like parents to take their child to the lavratory whether or not there is a changing table there. And certainly, if, according to you, I am to lighten up and hold my nose, you could have lead by example and refrained from telling those of us who disagreed with you here to lighten up.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
I have never had to face this problem personally, but I know for sure that I have never seen an airplane bathroom that was appropriate for changing a baby.

It will be curious to see if opinions might change when it is one's own two month old infant that is about to be relegated to an airplane toilet seat during changing.
</font>
Perhaps not for 2 children at once, but the handicap-accessible bathroom in the business class cabin of a 777 is eminently well-suited for the purpose. There's a flip-down changing table far larger than any tray table, and ample room to stand as it's about twice the size of a normal lav.

And while baby poop never actually makes in on anyone's table or vicinity, the immediate impact of the smell and the sight of such an action is likely to be detrimental to people's appetites. How long does it take to flush the air in the business cabin?

Nice thing about airplane bathrooms. When you flush, it draws out a substantial volume of air and tend to take the stink out with it. Flush repeatedly if you have released gas or other odors while visiting.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 9:17 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:

Babies should not be changed on the seats or tray tables because of the danger of getting filth all over in case of turbulence.

</font>

Exactly why they should not be changed on the table in the lav.

I would consider the seat to be the safest place for an infant to be changed. I'd rather take the chance of spreading poop on the seat if he slid off the pad than spreading poop and injuring an infant falling from the table during turbulence.

Sorry, safety wins out over salads IMO.
Old Aug 27, 2002, 9:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lpas:
People are supposed to lay their newborns--who, as infants, already have weaker immune systems--on a disgusting, urine-covered toilet seat that's probably crawling with bacteria?
[This message has been edited by Lpas (edited 08-21-2002).]
</font>
So I guess it's better to change the baby on a seat and turn the seat into a disgusting, soiled, bacteria-infested place for the next lucky passenger to sit in?

Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:37 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KGruendel:
So I guess it's better to change the baby on a seat and turn the seat into a disgusting, soiled, bacteria-infested place for the next lucky passenger to sit in?
</font>
If it's a choice between that and laying the baby on a toilet--yes.

If the parent uses a diaper pad there's no reason why the seat should become soiled in any way. As I've said before, if there is a more appropriate location available then the parent should make use of it, but sorry--a toilet doesn't qualify.

Old Aug 27, 2002, 1:06 pm

Every nationality seems to have its particular phobia. The French worry incessantly about their liver; the Germans are deathly afraid of drafts and would rather suffocate; and Americans seem to think deadly germs are everywhere. Take the kid to the toilet and forget about it!
Old Aug 28, 2002, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Or wipe any "spillage" (happens maybe 1 of 100 changes) off the seat with a baby wipe and forget about it.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 6:12 am
Pam

Many, many years ago, when my children were babies, there were NO changing tables in public restrooms. I have sat (fully clothed) on the toilet seat and managed to change a very young baby lying on my lap. When forced to, a parent can usually improvise very well.

Old Aug 28, 2002, 9:32 am

I that agree with 100% of what Punki said. IMHO, the rest of you may want to consider holding your nose for a few minutes and forgeting about it.

As for breast feeding, if it bothers you, don't look.
Old Aug 28, 2002, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA/CO-1KPlat, MARRIOTT-LT PLAT
classy, sorry to make big stink about something so little!

Surprised that so many passengers want to sit in dirty filty seats after a baby was changed on it, and there was NO water for the parent to wash their own hands or baby's hiney, so germs are spread ALL over the armrests and seatbacks!

Aren't FA's assigned to keep the Lavs clean and inviting?

Still LOL about Lavs being too dirty for babykins!

Think about this string the next time you use a cart at the grocery store and put food in the poopseat! This will make your day.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 8:13 am

I am having trouble understanding those who think it's acceptable to change a baby on an airplane seat or even those who like to breast-feed in public. I'm curious about where these people draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable behavior. Why don't I just drop my pants in public when I need to adjust my underwear? If you don't like it, don't look. Or maybe I'll just pick my nose wherever I feel like it. Or trim my nails and floss my teeth while seated in coach on a crowded plane. Or try on clothes at the store without bothering to go into the changing room first. If people don't like it, it's their problem. I can't spend time worrying about what everyone else thinks. Manners are overrated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.