Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do you book your rental car on a US web site ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)

Question that may seem strange to you.

As a matter of fact, up to last week, I used to book my avis car on the us site , which was far better for rates than the french one .

And then, I was told by friends, and the information was available in papers too (Le Point, in France), that the spanish site avis.es was far better.
I had a look, and saved 20 per cent, WHAT EVER the rate codes (AWD) are.

And, it is the same for Hertz, where the german site seems to be better (wahtever the cdp is).

Does it work for you too generally ?

is there a better site than these ones that some of you use to save more ?
Whay are there so many differences (rate codes, coupons, country web sites ...) ?
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:05 pm

I like to book here:

http://www.avisworld.com

I get better quotes when I select a European Country when asked: "Please select your country of residence:"
Actually, on the German site you can rent only cars in one country; NO DROP-OFF IN ANOTHER COUNTRY.
I just checked the German site, it's not cheaper than http://www.avisworld.com
Old Jul 15, 2002, 3:05 pm
cnk

Do you need to claim non-US residency in order to get those rates?
Old Jul 17, 2002, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
cnk, I would also be curious to find out the answer to that question...
Old Jul 18, 2002, 3:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Also, what currency are the rates charged to your credit card in. You may need to account for any FX fees as well.

------------------
I Love New York -- Viva Espaņa
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cnk:
Do you need to claim non-US residency in order to get those rates?</font>
YES
I did it and got a super deal. Gave a European residency, was prepared to show the docs but was never asked. The invoice was sent to the European address.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 8:16 am
cnk

The normal avis.com has a pull down menu in the upper right corner for "Select your country". The key to the discounts may be foreign residency rather than the web site that one books on.

Wonder what sort of documentation they'd expect?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Do you think a European passport is enough? I suppose not since I would have to show some kind of driving license, and the only one I have has "Washington State" emblazoned in green across the front...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.