Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Currency exchange to Euro after March 1?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2002, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi - The dual currency circulation period is now over and Euro is now the only currency available in participating countries from Feb/March. I will travel to Barcelona via CDG and I still have some French Francs and Pesetas with me (some banknotes and coins, around 300 Euro).

Has anyone experienced currency exchange of 'old european currencies' at airports? Do they take advantage of the situation and charge a transaction fee? Do they still change 'old' coins to Euro as well?

I'm aware that if I go to National Banks I still can get my money to Euro without charge but I don't think I will have time to go.

I hope there was not a similar thread (tried to search with Euro), if so, would anyone direct me, thanks.

[This message has been edited by aleph08 (edited 03-09-2002).]
Old Mar 9, 2002, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2 Mill - SPG Gold
In January, the currency exchanges at ORD and in Paris charged a transaction fee and would not take coins.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 7:51 am

The official exchange (without fee) to Euro ended Feb. 28, 2002.
Now you can only exchange at a Central Bank.
However, some big stores/chains still take the "old money". And at some "remote" places in Spain ... Portugal ... Greece, the "New Euro Money has not arrived". They still use the "Old Money"; prices are still in Pesetas, Escudos.
Old Mar 10, 2002, 4:34 pm

Last date for exchanging national currencies at commercial banks:
- Spain: 6/30/02
- France: 6/30/02

Last date for exchanging national currencies at national central banks:
- Spain: unlimited
- France: 3/10 years (coins/bills)

Source: an .xls I downloaded from FT (Financial Times, not FlyerTalk ) last year.

Thus you should be able to go to a 'commercial bank', although some might be more accomodating than others. Going to central banks is always inconvenient.

[This message has been edited by monahos (edited 03-10-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.