Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficult topic - Will you still sit next to an unaccompied Child given the CNN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2001, 8:33 pm
askworldtraveler

Difficult topic - Will you still sit next to an unaccompied Child given the CNN

headline today. Today on the CNN web site, under travel. A few quotes from the artical "-- Northwest Airlines and the FBI are investigating charges that a 10-year-old girl traveling alone on a flight was molested by another passenger."......... "But in his statement, Thuluva said he "placed his left hand on her right upper thigh on two occasions," according to the affidavit. Thuluva told investigators he only placed his hand on the girl's thigh to calm her down because she was scared during takeoff and when the plane encountered some turbulence.

"He denied he touched her improperly," said James Thomas, an attorney representing Thuluva."

Ok everyone, I've got a lot of miles, and I've sat next to a lot of people, and I've had more then a few scared during parts of the flight and have reached out for a comforting hand. I've sent my own children on many flights alone - never a problem, and I've sat next to several over the years who were on their way to visit family but flying alone. Has the world gone nuts (or me :-) ), and I'm being overly cautious...I think I would ask to be reassigned if I found myself next to a minor... what if I'm not alone in this feeling...how will the airlines respond to a real need - these kids need to get from point A to B safely. Seemed like the right place to throw this one out.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++

Old Aug 9, 2001, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I certainly would not ask to be reassigned. Children travelling alone tend to keep to themselves, act much more maturely then many who travel with their parents, and tend to be polite.

FWIW, I believe that a man touching a young girl's upper thigh is terribly inappropriate no matter what the situation. And he did it twice according to the child. Whether it was once, twice, or eight times, it still is wrong IMHO.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 2:19 pm

I just read somewhere that many airlines (or their insurance companies) are considering refusing to fly unaccompanied minors at all...too great a liability for too little return. This was in response to the recent problems that America West had with misdirecting a minor to the wrong airport.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 2:29 pm
askworldtraveler

funny, I thought this would be a topic that would recieve some attention. I would agree with you - when ever I've sat next to an unaccompied minor - the have been very well behaved - and yes, it's often with kids with parents somewhere else on the plane that the ride becomes interesting. I guess it's my California state of mind where certain issues become hyper sensitive (McMartin comes to mind)- and untrue accusations can ruin a life. Oh well, I go back to thinking about FF miles and three weeks in Italy end of this month :-)

------------------

Old Aug 9, 2001, 2:33 pm

You do indeed bring up a hard question. I wouldn't ask to be reassigned.

But that guy deserves his day in court...strange that no one else thought he was doing something improper on the flight?

Old Aug 9, 2001, 3:38 pm
doc

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/002898.html

Old Aug 10, 2001, 11:00 am

In most countries of the world it is ok to place one's hand on a minor in an attempt to calm them down while they are emotionally distressed. Sadly, not so in the USA where most actions that are seen as normal in the rest of the world are seen as indictable offences. It wasn't that long ago when a grandfather got charged with child molestation when he had his grandson sitting on his lap while playing a game... what has Unashamedly Suing Anyone come to?? Why not just lock up all male adults for the safety of the minors?
Old Aug 11, 2001, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
It is indeed sad how we get paranoid in the USA as a whole society because of a few sick people amidst us. Based on the incident reported, I could easily be pursuaded that it was an innocent gesture to reassure a child as much as a sick attempt to "molest".

If the child had indicated in any way that the patting/touching was unwelcome, it changes the character of the case. If the person has a record of child molestation it changes the character of the case. On the other hand, if it is a cross-cultural or cross-generational mess and the person was innocent and misunderstood, we need to be sympathetic and work to educate the child and the misunderstood adult better.

The girl was brave in reporting it. She needs to be supported and counselled. If the man is innocent, she also needs to be counselled on how certain signals could be misunderstood but how she is still right to reject such gestures and report them.

What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? We heard no circumstantial evidence (was the girl showing signs of panic? does the man have any past problems?, etc.) and I already see the news media and many others rushing to judge.

Having pushed this incidence to the national media the news media will now deeply affect this little girl no matter what the reality (innocent gesture or "molestation").
Old Aug 11, 2001, 9:18 pm

On the topic of unaccompanied minors, my thoughts were what happens to the minor if the plane(s) does not make it to the final destination. In the past year I've overnighted three times in cities that were en route but not my final destination (ORD, CLE, and EWR).
Who gets to look after the minor and where? For me the events were stressful but for a minor it will probably be quite scary to be in a strange city with people that you do not know.
Old Aug 13, 2001, 8:34 am

This is where you need some judges with some common sense. Throw the case out of court unless there is more compelling evidence. Unless the police is going to arrest this man, the judge should just dismiss the case and spare us all the hassle.

Once you call a hearing, our time/money is wasted and Mr. Thuluva's reputation is tarnished.

If it goes to trial, then even more $$ is wasted and a settlement is likely even if Mr. Thuluva was innocent because the trial itself is harmful even if he was found not guilty.

It's an extortion scheme, pure and simple.
Old Aug 14, 2001, 7:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MarkinDallas:
On the topic of unaccompanied minors, my thoughts were what happens to the minor if the plane(s) does not make it to the final destination. </font>
Last summer when stranded by good ol' United, we say an unaccompanied minor and asked a gate agent what happens to them if stuck overnight. We were told that there are secure beds for them to sleep in at the airport.

Old Aug 14, 2001, 9:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mch710:
We were told that there are secure beds for them to sleep in at the airport.
</font>

What are these? Mattresses in animal cages coz it is really hard to imagine one determined child molester not being able to get through any of the so called "secure beds"?
Old Aug 14, 2001, 10:39 am
askworldtraveler

Does anyone know the status of this case? Was he allowed to travel home to India? Thanks...

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.