The situation at O'Hare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The situation at O'Hare

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2001, 9:19 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
My 2¢. My in-laws lived in Elmhurst since before WWII (when what is now ORD was a really an airfield in an orchard). They didn't buy a house near an airport. They bought a house in a quiet (almost country) suburb. My father-in-law, and most others, took a TRAIN to go 20 miles "downtown" to CHI to work.

In the 60's the take-off flight path noise from ORD became intolerable. Indoor conversations were suspended when some planes passed overhead. In the summer, outdoor dialogue was impossible for minutes at a time.

I don't know about "Stages"; but I do know from personal experience that the aircraft takeoff noise in this same area is no longer a problem. I have heard the same comments from friends in Bensenville, which is the town directly North and between Elmhurst and ORD.

Just some observations based on the prior posts; and Elmhurst Nick: I'm talking about the Prospect/St. Charles area.
Old May 15, 2001, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
From the standpoint of a New Yorker, this is an interesting debate, and we have (a little of) the same here at JFK with the very vocal Howard Beach residents constantly complaining about airport noise. Just like in Chicago, the ones who moved there before or just after WWII may have a legitimate issue, but far more moved there in the 50's and 60's after the significance of the airport in the region's economy was already clear. Although complaints about Newark are sometimes heard, the flight paths for the (main) parallel runways are largely over industrial and wetland areas.

It's been my observation for years that oil tanks, airports, radio towers, racetracks, and stadiums tend to be grouped together in a lot of cities because nobody wants to live near any of them.

I'm normally all for Federalism, and clearly, like all frequent travellers, I would benefit from an expanded ORD, but I fail to appreciate why the Federal Government should get to dictate the answer to the O'Hare problem. Shouldn't the people of Chicago and the suburbs be entitled to decide this, in some manner?
Old May 15, 2001, 10:03 pm
Original Member

Originally posted by Chitown64:
Meigs needs to be a park, its 100 daily flights can be easily absorbed by MDW or ORD.
The flights that are into CGX are smaller planes that may be flying VFR. VFR flights are not allowed into ORD, and even then if you do fly IFR you need to have a reservation into ORD. Both airports have significant landing fees.

So basically what this is saying is we need to add runways at the larger airport, but take away another runway that serves general aviation.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...01-2-049x.html
Old May 15, 2001, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Kappa, there are still spots where the noise is just plain bad if you're outside. If you're outside around North/83 or North/Wolf, you can get your conversation drowned out. It just happened to me this morning, and I started laughing because of this thread. But you have to be pretty much under the darned plane for that to happen.
Old May 16, 2001, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I agree that the residents who were in the area when ORD truly was on orchard should be compensated generously, but when I mean orchard I mean a real orchard with nothing else but johnny appleseeds, and maybe the WWII factories.

I agree that the feds shouldn't just barge in and build up something without the consent of the area, but the area around ORD is stupid and cannot be consented, sorry (except for kappa's in-laws of course). Besides, the majority wants ORD expansion anyway.

Thanks for taking interest in my thread, I really wish however that a politician would read this whole thing down and just say 'duh'. I'm actually just an aviation geek, and I'm too young to be travelling anyway. I'm 18 and a senior in highschool, I'm a regular kid and all and very busy, but I manage to read the Tribune everyday. Since I find airplanes facinating, I was always drawn to the articles about O'Hare and what not.. After a couple years I started to read the Trib inside out, and figured out Chicago, and how the suburbs are the death of it. And after finding these forums, I decided to see if I could hang with you business travellers and test my expertise.. ah shoot (sorry I'm in class, I gotta go, bye).
Old May 16, 2001, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

I agree that the residents who were in the area when ORD truly was on orchard should be compensated generously, but when I mean orchard I mean a real orchard with nothing else but johnny appleseeds, and maybe the WWII factories.

I agree that the feds shouldn't just barge in and build up something without the consent of the area, but the area around ORD is stupid and cannot be consented, sorry (except for kappa's in-laws of course). Besides, the majority wants ORD expansion anyway.

Thanks for taking interest in my thread, I really wish however that a politician would read this whole thing down and just say 'duh'. I'm actually just an aviation geek, and I'm too young to be travelling anyway. I'm 18 and a senior in highschool, I'm a regular kid and all and very busy, but I manage to read the Tribune everyday. Since I find airplanes facinating, I was always drawn to the articles about O'Hare and what not.. After a couple years I started to read the Trib inside out, and figured out Chicago, and how the suburbs are the death of it. And after finding these forums, I decided to see if I could hang with you business travellers and test my expertise.. ah shoot (sorry I'm in class, I gotta go, bye).
Old May 16, 2001, 5:19 pm
nlp

I can't see new messages in this topic. Now it's May 16 6pm CDT but the last message I see is still from May 15.
Old May 16, 2001, 5:22 pm
nlp

I can't see new messages in this topic. Now it's May 16 6pm CDT but the last message I see is still from May 15.
Old May 16, 2001, 9:30 pm

U know, it took me 2 and a half hour to get to ORD from downtown Chicago! I took of around 6am and didn't get to the airport till 8:30, I do not know if this is the norm or not, but if this is, then this sucks.

Then it took me a full half hour to check-in when there were only 8 of us in line! I almost missed my 9:20 flight back to DFW!
Then to top it off, the aircraft left the gate on time 9:20am we didn't take off till 9:50am! surprisly it got to the gate in DFW at 11:45am. but still it is only a 1:48 actual flight. and oh, this is funny, the check-in lady had a big grin when she said that this flight is leaving on time, like leaving on time is very rare at ORD these days lol, and also it took this lady a full 10 min trying to print out the receipts.
ORD sucks and I am glad that I will never come back there again

------------------
Al
Old May 16, 2001, 9:31 pm

U know, it took me 2 and a half hour to get to ORD from downtown Chicago! I took of around 6am and didn't get to the airport till 8:30, I do not know if this is the norm or not, but if this is, then this sucks.

Then it took me a full half hour to check-in when there were only 8 of us in line! I almost missed my 9:20 flight back to DFW!
Then to top it off, the aircraft left the gate on time 9:20am we didn't take off till 9:50am! surprisly it got to the gate in DFW at 11:45am. but still it is only a 1:48 actual flight. and oh, this is funny, the check-in lady had a big grin when she said that this flight is leaving on time, like leaving on time is very rare at ORD these days lol, and also it took this lady a full 10 min trying to print out the receipts.

------------------
Al
Old May 17, 2001, 6:50 am

Chitown64:Now that you had an opportunity to sample the opinions of some suburbanites, maybe you'll realize that you shouldn't judge an entire group of people based upon a small segment of that group. Keep reading the Tribune, but expand your horizons. You'll do fine.
Old May 17, 2001, 7:37 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally posted by afang:

1) If you had taken the CTA blue line, it would have been 45 minutes to ORD regardless of the traffic.

2) Did you check in with luggage or at the gate?

3) The flight did leave on time. 9:20 AM, like you said.

4) ORD sucks? Was that your first trip? A sample size of one is way too small.

Are you sure you're a frequent flyer?
Old May 17, 2001, 7:38 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally posted by sully242:
Chitown64:Now that you had an opportunity to sample the opinions of some suburbanites, maybe you'll realize that you shouldn't judge an entire group of people based upon a small segment of that group. Keep reading the Tribune, but expand your horizons. You'll do fine.
I held Chitown64's opinion about suburbs when I was 14 and started reading the paper, and I haven't changed my opinion since then.

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 05-17-2001).]
Old May 17, 2001, 10:12 am

I checked in my luggage at the check-in counter. and yes this was my first time flying out of ORD, I used to connect to ORD alot of times couple of years back and if my memory served me correctly it wasn't as bad as this.

Company gave me a car and I like the miles that I get when renting the car so that's why I kept it and I had absolutely no idea that the traffic was that bad 6am in the morning!

And yes I would avoid ORD any chance I get
Old May 17, 2001, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

ORD doesn't suck because of big city traffic, big city traffic sucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.