Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Article in The Economist: Condensation in aircraft (from passenger perspiration)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article in The Economist: Condensation in aircraft (from passenger perspiration)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2001, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

I subscribe to The Economist and consider it to be an excellent publication. Here is the first paragraph of an article in this week's issue (June 16th-22nd) titled "The rain in planes: Jetliners suffer from too much moisture and their passengers from too little".
----
Since people are made largely of water, transporting 350 of them thousands of kilometers through the air in a metal canister is a sweaty business. On average, each person on board a commercial airliner gives off 100ml of moisture every hour. This means that a jumbo collects some 600 litres during a 17-hour transpacific flight, much of it as condensation in the gap between the cold outer skin of the aircraft and the insulated cabin wall. Meanwhile the people who have sweated off this moisture are being tortured by a cabin atmosphere that is too dry. Its relative humidity is around 20%. Comfort demands a figure nearer 40%.
-----
[100ml is about one-half cup]
This makes an excellent case for drinking lots of water and staying away from alcohol.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 6:31 am

Have any of you ever been drenched from condensation dripping through on landing? The 707s were notorious for it, and the 727s had their share also.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

I haven't been drenched, but the article also includes the following:

... condensation in the gap between cabin and hull can be lethal. This gap contains much of an aircraft's wiring and water can damage the wiring's insulation. Such a problem is thought to have contributed to the loss of a Swissair DC-11 of the Atlantic coast of America a few years ago. Too much condensation causes other difficulties, as well. There have been cases when ice has built up inside the tailplanes of aircraft, causing their rudders to freeze, and thus preventing the pilots from steering them.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 6:18 pm

I boarded the first class cabin of an AA flight between Barbados and JFK about five years ago and found a virtual cascade of rain falling from the air conditioning system into my seat. A stack of paper towels helped dry my seat. Fortunately, the source of the moisture dried up as soon as we taxied toward the runway.
Old Jun 20, 2001, 8:28 pm
Suspended

ick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.