Wiki Posts
Search

US AIR: Web Fares vs Phone Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:39 am
Original Poster

US AIR: Web Fares vs Phone Fares?

Lesson one from USAIR on how to anger a consumer:

Keep him on a plane, on the runway gate for 6.5 hours, then give him a $100 voucher.

The only way to use this voucher is by phone-

Web fare for flight $335

Quoted fare for same flight on phone $550!

Is this standard practice? Do other airlines have such a gap in fares web vs phone?
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SFOPIT:
Do other airlines have such a gap in fares web vs phone? </font>
Yes. And often.

Old Jun 15, 2001, 9:41 pm

Definitely a problem. Made several complains to Delta about that policy last year. I think early this year, they added to the rules for their webfares stating that DL travel vouchers may not be used for payment.

I don't know if their systems really can't handle using vouchers for online transactions, or if it's just another restriction that reduces the redemption rate of vouchers. I got lucky that I finally found a flight where the online and airport/phone prices were identical. The only thing I lost was the 1000mile online booking bonus (which I gladly traded for the $100 I saved by using the voucher).

Jeff
Old Jun 15, 2001, 11:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
There's been a few times the last two weeks that a coupon or voucher box has appeared on the UA booking site (no doubt while they were testing it out, as it was only there for a few hours each time). As I've been given a stack of vouchers from being bumped this year, this will come in very useful when they incorporate the feature, and let me use it on web-only fares. Right now I have to be careful to make sure the fare I am getting off the web is a good value before using the vouchers. Figure if UA adds this feature, it will only be a matter of time until other carriers add it also.
Old Jun 16, 2001, 1:49 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Northwest's web site lets you redeem promotional certificates online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.