Wiki Posts
Search

Air Travel Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2001, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guess I must peeve folks, since I always put my feet up on the bulkhead. Seat 1A is my home and I spend more time there than in my house. So I do make myself comfortable (and I always try to have clean socks on.

I always recline my seat, even on short flights to make myself comfortable. What really peeves me is when FA's ask me to put my seat back up 15-20 minutes before landing.

I don't know if it's cooincidence or not, but in several flights lately AA has been allowing me to leave my seat reclined the whole flight in 1st class. There was no one behind me on those flights. Thank You AA!

And if I have a window seat, I control the window shade and do with it as I please! However I usually lower it. Even so, you can't please some people who just have to look out the window when they are in an aisle seat.

Old Jun 7, 2001, 5:34 pm
Suspended

I hate it when a cute and rich woman sits next to me and then starts flirting.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
My pet peeves are:

1. People who refuse to wait until their row is called to board the plane. Sometimes I enter the plane and half of the seats that were not called yet are filled.

2. When leaving the plane, a person in front of me makes absolutely no attempt to prepare himself to deplane before it is his time to go and stands in the aisle taking his good ole time gathering his things and putting on his jacket while everyone else waits.

3. When the weather is clearly bad and the airline crew refuse to tell you that the plane is delayed even though it is obvious to everyone who is not working for the airline.

4. Any flight on United.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 6:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My additions:

The young person who insists on sharing his/her taste in music with everyone in the row or three rows around him.

The reading of playboy next to me, I don't care if you turn the magazine to one side for the "feature" and only read it for the articles.

The person who has inane conversations of their cell phone .5 mins prior to departure

Anyone who tries to sell something to me or convert me on a 2 hour flight.

Diaper changing in the seat, both adults and children.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 7:36 pm

Several years ago, an elderly lady across the aisle from me gave herself a ten minute vigorous scalp massage spreading hair and dandruff through the cabin. When I thought it couldn't get much worse, she brushed her hair and sprayed about half a can of hairspray on it.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being told to put my seatback up because we are preparing to land. Then after 30 mins of doing figure eights over North Jersey, we are informed of some unexpected ATC delay.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 9:52 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
My biggest peeve is when those darn cute FAs start hitting on me.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 10:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by quinella66:

1. People who refuse to wait until their row is called to board the plane. Sometimes I enter the plane and half of the seats that were not called yet are filled.
</font>
Are you sure they haven't been called yet? Perhaps they (we?) are Elite level fliers who *have* been called to board... and, at the time, our biggest peeve is that we didn't get upgraded.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
Diaper changing in the seat, both adults and children.</font>
Eeeew! What airline do you travel on that has adult diaper-wearing pax???
Old Jun 8, 2001, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Judging by the amount of supermarket shelf space devoted to things like Depends, I suspect many flights have quite a lot of them - but I've (fortunately) never seen one change his or her "diaper" in a seat!

(Before we laugh too loud, let us remember that this may be us down the road, too.)
Old Jun 8, 2001, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
Judging by the amount of supermarket shelf space devoted to things like Depends, I suspect many flights have quite a lot of them - but I've (fortunately) never seen one change his or her "diaper" in a seat!

(Before we laugh too loud, let us remember that this may be us down the road, too.)
</font>
I would never really laugh at someone who could easily be my Mom or Dad (or, as you say, me down the road).

But I DID start thinking of some good airline names... InContinental might work
Old Jun 8, 2001, 5:00 am

FAs who take up headsets prior to landing. Some of us enjoy listening to music or channel 9 until we actually get to the arrival gate.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 7:09 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ORD - HKG FF:
On my flight today in first HKG-ORD guy in 5J kept his window UP the entire flight despite repeatly being asked by the flight attendant and myself to lower so the cabin would be dark.</font>
I totally disagree with this one. In my (somewhat) regular trips between here and Australia, there's nothing I like better than to just sit and look out the window on a clear day. Looking at the scenery over Asia is often absolutely stunning. I've had complaints, but there's no way I'll stop doing it !
Old Jun 8, 2001, 7:30 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by blairvanhorn:
Eeeew! What airline do you travel on that has adult diaper-wearing pax??? </font>
I haven't run into a diaper (thank god) but recently had the misfortune of sitting immediately behind an extraordinarily old woman who was attached to a colostomy bag (big plastic cylinder).

The stench was alarming. I know that this is a physical problem that this woman didn't ask for and doesn't want, blah, blah, blah, but I think it would be courteous for her when requesting a seat assignment to indicate her special condition and ask to be seated in the most sparsely populated section of the aircraft (perhaps near the back?) As it was, she was right up front in economy. And no, as she left the plane she didn't appear to have any mobility problems (aside from those you would expect from her age) that would have prevented her from travelling the extra twenty rows or so to the back.

As I write this I wonder "is this a mean attitude to take?" After that flight, I don't think so. Bottom line: the most annoying thing to me is an unpleasant odor I can't get away from.
Old Jun 8, 2001, 7:42 am

Horrific body odor has got to be one of my biggest peeves. I was on a flight from PHL to PIT and the guy next to me smelled horrendous!!! And he knew it...he made a comment alluding to his "aroma." Not that he didn't stop lifting his arms over his head or anything. It was disgusting, I had to cover my nose with my sweater...and the stench hung around me even after we deplaned. YUCK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.