Wiki Posts
Search

Inexpensive (but nice) Hong Kong Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
Inexpensive (but nice) Hong Kong Hotels

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive but hopefully nice hotel in Hong Kong for 1 night -- April 21. I would love to stay at The Peninsula but I don't want to spend $400. I have looked at Starwood/Hilton/Marriot properties on their websites and they seem to start at about $175 per night. Is that reasonable. Does anybody know of a good place I could stay that's closer to $125-150 (or even less). Am I looking on the wrong websites??
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
If you are willing to go with a local hotel or chain, you might want to consider the Y on Salisbury, next to the Penninsula, or any of the Marco Polo group of hotels (Hong Kong, Gateway, Prince) in/adjacent to Harbor City on Canton road, a 5-minute walk from the Y. All of these are quite nice, and can be had from less than US$100. If I had more time, I'd provide links, but they shouldn't be hard to come by.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:23 pm
Original Member

I second the YMCA. It was just fine, and most reasonable.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:39 pm

The Y Salisbury also has dormitory rooms at 4 beds per room (bathroom in room). Price is about US$30 per night. Nice option if you are only planning to crash and don't need any amenities. They were doing some renovations to the dormitory floor last year so I'm not sure if it is currently available.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2021-22-23;Formerly a longtime UA Premier Exec; NW silver (legacy), Alaska Gold (way back)
Also check the Excelsior, which is on the island. It's the lower-priced offering of the chain that operates either the Mandarin Oriental or the Regent (I forget which).
Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm a big fan of the Kimberly in TST. In my opinion, it's one of the best values in HK. The Sheraton also goes for decent rates ($90-$100) on occasion -- I always stay there (as opposed to the Y or the Holiday Inn) when I'm on a slightly higher budget. I've also stayed at, and am not fond of, the Stanford and the Marco Polo.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:42 pm

Take a look at: http://www.asiatravel.com/hongkong.html

which shows several price categories for hotels.

The YWCA (Anne Black Guest House) which is shown there, amongst others, is in the US$50 range. Probably not as nice as those mentioned in the other posts, but clean, safe and ok for one night. Its in the Mong Kok area, northern end of Tsimshatui, walking distance to the street markets in Temple St., and -- forget the English names -- in Mongkok (woman st? and sai yeang choi).
Old Mar 14, 2001, 10:31 pm

Try the Evergreen hotel --- around $45.00 per night plus breakfast. The rooms are a bit on the small side but when you are sleeping who is going to know the differecne.

I really question why people insist on paying $150 per night for US style hotels (unless you need the business services they provide), when you can stay at a property with more character and ambiance. The savings will go a long ways in beefing up your budget for day time activities.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:07 pm

Originally posted by Tango:
Try the Evergreen hotel
Evergreen is now called Empire, but still the same (good) thing. There's another option nearby called Wesley Hotel, which I would consider too.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:26 pm

Charterhouse Hotel in Wanchai. US$60-75 a night depending on time of year. Boutique style, nice, cozy, clean, and modern. 5 minutes walk to Causeway Bay MTR.
http://www.charterhouse.com/

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 9:41 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Chung King Mansion- Fortunate Guest House
A Block 11th floor
A2 Nathan Rd.
Kowloon, Hong KOng
Tel: 2366 5900
fax 2316 7826 or call Miss Alice@ 9581
I have stayed there twice and found it to be small, but very clean, AC and color tv with cable

They had a fire years ago and all wiring was replaced in metal conduit with alarms. $25-$30 Great location too..next to Holiday Inn. Not a 5*, but it works for me! You can also ask for Mr.Lee , the manager.

------------------
MRKEY
Old Mar 15, 2001, 3:42 pm

Originally posted by siliconengineer:
The YWCA (Anne Black Guest House)...
The YWCA in Hong Kong, oddly enough, is on Man Funk Road, except without the letter 'n' in 'Funk'. (And, no, I am not making this up.)

[This message has been edited by wideman (edited 03-15-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.