Reload this Page >

Dateline NBC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dateline NBC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
DCA
Old Mar 14, 2001, 12:13 pm

That was actually the first Dateline I have ever watched all the way through. Perhaps because it was on a topic of great interest to me. I thought it was very good. Some people have commented that some of the information, such as the 5 tips, was not helpful, but the masses aren't FF nuts like myself.

The most interesting segment was on Midway. I've never flown them & never considered it until watching the show. Zooming in on the meals was a nice touch but to me it goes beyond that. If an airline is willing to do the extra in certain areas they are listening to paxs. I actually checked out their website & priced a few flights to see. They didn't seem that bad.

For me, paying F on domestic flights is not something I like to do. However, I can't stand the cramped seating & limited leg room. So, Midway's $600 flights seem like a happy medium. Has anyone ever flown this airline?

As for the lost baggage, I don't have that problem. After I flew AA Orly-JFK a few years ago & found that my only bag would be landing at LAX in 5 hours, I have never checked baggage again.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The show was entertaining, but awfully NY-area-centric. Continental got tagged awful hard (in the baggage horror stories, and a lot of the "DELAYED" monitors were shot at Terminal C at EWR) just because it's cheap for Dateline's New York-based crews to go over to Newark and shoot. But the United Shuttle at SFO would have been a better portrait of the ninth circle of hell.

Wasn't it an omission to have no airline industry person on the show at all? They said the Air Transport Association declined their interview requests, which I found odd, but what about Bethune or Kelleher or someone who makes good TV, holding up the airlines' end of things? This would've been a good opportunity for CO or WN to fly the flag against industry consolidation.

The best part to me was seeing blithe airline personnel make stuff up on camera -- like the US flight attendant who blamed a flight delay on rogue blimp traffic.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:08 pm
pjs

KiraNarise - It was Midwest Express, not Midway. Although I understand that Midway is comparable in comfort, not so much on the meals though.

All in all, a pretty entertaining, if not terribly enlightening show. I especially loved that guy's bag getting a free trip to Portugal!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 3:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Originally posted by Spiff:
Dudster, you're not an airline employee or a major airline stockholder, by any chance are you? You seem a little surly yourself.
No, I'm just a plain old frequent flier [full disclosure: I was at one point a SWA shareholder]. I think that the Airlines are to some extent being scapegoated for problems that are the result of a much more complicated combination of contributing factors and parties. I'm also quite displeased with the rush of our legislators to attempt to "fix" these problems by drafting "passenger rights" legislation that will inevitably do nothing except maybe come back to bite us in the a**. This is, of course, typical of congress to attempt to find simple solutions to complex problems. I would much rather have them work on properly funding the FAA and local airport authorities. If they really do want to re-regulate the airline industry then they should be looking at regulation that addresses the structure of the industry, where many of these problems arise, rather than the symptoms (passenger experience), not that I support such legislation.

I'm also annoyed by the incredible amount of ignorance and obfuscation that fuels much of this debate. Whether it is Stone Phillips misrepresenting take off time as departure time or Strom Thurmond admonishing airline executives for advocating deregulation in the 70s when it was the government (the Civil Aeronautics Board) that advocated deregulation and the airlines who were opposed to it.

Frankly, I'm also a little bit tired of people complaining all of the time. I'm not saying that the airlines don't have problems and that there aren't legitimate complaints, but all travel is subject to uncertainties and I think some people need to just learn to take things in stride.

As for me being surly -- well I admit to being occaisionally short tempered, but I'm usually quite pleasant.

Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:11 pm

I thought the program was rather sensationalistic. As someone mentioned, the luggage piece seemed slanted. The on-time piece was interesting. The point about the potential for airlines to have better information about delays was good, although even there Dateline perhaps gave the impression that airline employees weren't being honest when in fact they were probably just reporting the information from their systems. All the allusions back to the "golden age of flying" just made me sick--no discussion of how low prices are now and how accessible airtravel is to all segments of the population. Also, the Midwest Express comparison is also unfair. Only at the end did they point out the significantly higher prices (although I think it's a great option for business travelers).

My overall beef with the program is that I think the airlines respond to consumer preferences to a significant extent (although not completely of course). If an airline could make more money by offering better meals, or more room, or a better luggage tracking system, it would do so. (And United and American have put in more room.) But, ultimately, many consumers will still go for the ticket that is $100-200 cheaper, especially if they're flying a family of four. So the airlines don't make all those improvements, while at the same time trying to keep business travelers happy.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I did not watch the Dateline show and admittedly lack extensive experience with either, but IMHO, Midwest Express >>> Midway!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:31 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Trying to determine how long a flight's departure will be delayed isn't quite as easy as Dateline made it out to be.

On the one hand, an airline may pull out a spare aircraft, or may cancel another flight to provide the a/c for your flight. An airplane has a schedule, but isn't committed to that schedule with no possible changes over the course of a day.

On the other hand, the aircraft may be available but crews may not for various reasons.

Tracking a nose # doesn't guarantee you a certain departure time (and it wastes the reservations agent's time). If you leave the gate area and a spare a/c is found, you could miss your flight.

I enjoyed the show (for the subject matter, not so much for their suggestions ).
Old Mar 14, 2001, 5:44 pm

Originally posted by Dudster:
Frankly, I'm also a little bit tired of people complaining all of the time. I'm not saying that the airlines don't have problems and that there aren't legitimate complaints, but all travel is subject to uncertainties and I think some people need to just learn to take things in stride.
I don't like defending airlines either, but I also found the Dateline episode to be extremely sensationalistic and one sided. I was especially annoyed by the Josh Mankiewicz piece comparing Delta with Midwest Express. There was a point in his piece where I thought he was about to make a case in defense of air rage.

Anyway, if you want to try out Midwest Express, it's only $158 this weekend from NYC to points in the, uhhh duh, Midwest, including Warren Buffett country
http://dir.travelzoo.com/Air.asp?id=37067

Must ticket by tomorrow though...
Old Mar 15, 2001, 4:47 am

How about that dufus woman that checked her glasses AND contacts and then was in trouble when they didn't show up in New York? They didn't admonish her in the show, as they should have IMHO.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 6:29 am

If you really want to check on ontime statistics try this link: http://www.bts.gov/cgi-bin/oai/ontime_js.pl

Although I didn't learn much I did watch the entire show and found parts of it pretty funny, particularly the blimp story. I wonder if maybe she was joking and they cut out the part where she said so.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by usoftie:
How about that dufus woman that checked her glasses AND contacts and then was in trouble when they didn't show up in New York? They didn't admonish her in the show, as they should have IMHO.
Agreed. Rather than even suggesting it was a foolish move the piece made her out to be a victim of the big, bad airline. As I listened, I thought, "You've got to be kidding!?"

I was hoping that one of Dateline's five "tips" at the end of the show would include something like:

"Never place any items such as eyeglasses, contacts, medication, etc. in your checked luggage. Always keep it in your carry-on bag."

Alas, I was disappointed.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 8:49 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally posted by usoftie:
How about that dufus woman that checked her glasses AND contacts...

[Dunce hat on] I admit that I did that... once.

------------------
Bob

There's no place like home...
there's no place like home...
there's no place like home.
www.wmonline.com
www.sunriseair.net

Old Mar 15, 2001, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
[b]
I followed their website links to check out the flight trackers, and found an amazing FAA website. Given that Dateline was good enough to tell us about it, I'm posting the link to the Dateline site instead of the direct links.

Ken,

I followed your instructions, but didn't find any FAA website there. Have they removed the link or am I missing something? Can someone please post the FAA link? It sounds useful.
Old Mar 15, 2001, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I, too, think the show was rather remedial. And yes, while I represent a more experienced flyer than the general public who watched the show, I still think it was rather "sensationalistic."

I would have liked a more ballanced approach. Did they interview agents about passengers demmands? Did they ask agents what passengers might do to be better prepared?

Did they show examples of things that often go right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.