Hotel Rituals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2001, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
www.ocdresource.com

[This message has been edited by cactuspete (edited 02-07-2001).]
Old Feb 7, 2001, 6:16 pm

My routine is to strip the dirty comforter off the bead and throw in the corner first. Then the toiletry kit goes in the bathroom. I have learned over the years to pack in reverse so everything else stays in my luggage in case I need to escape quickly for a fire etc; this way I can get in my car and move on without leaving anything behind!I also throw all desk top advertising onto the comforter so I can actually do what I came for, work.I also put a note on the desk to please keep clear the next day. this usually works best with a little token tip. Good luck
Old Feb 7, 2001, 8:11 pm

We are creatures of habit ;-)

1. Open the door, hang my garment bag, dump
the carry-on on the rack.

2. Check hotwater in the bathroom.

3. Go to sleep/Go to the bar in the hotel

4. Call the Front desk to arrange the wake up call.

5. Figure out everything else next day ;-)

A. If travelling with spouse, only #3 acted upon ;-)

[This message has been edited by akhullar (edited 02-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by akhullar (edited 02-07-2001).]
Old Feb 7, 2001, 9:13 pm

If I am the only one who has done the following, then please ignore this post:

I typically (albeit not always, and certainly depending upon circumstances) strip down naked and walk around the room, wondering (at least a little) what I am doing there and why I am buck naked.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Nice!!! I think... wait, Do I really want a mental image?!?
Old Feb 7, 2001, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Oh thank you Village Idiot, and all other posters on this thread. You provided the best laughs of my day... What about checking the clock radio to make sure some other idiot didn't leave the alarm turned on for 3am?
Old Feb 7, 2001, 10:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally posted by Jon Toner:
...If I have to leave without taking my laptop with me, I always make sure the TV is on (ESPN, CNN), and while closing the door feign a conversation with a non-existant male roommate. "Mike, turn to the game on ESPN - I'll be back in a minute."
And I put the "do not disturb thingy" on the door.

Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
never unpack, never surrender!

also, i believe the stinkin' badges line, while appropriated by the three amigos folks (and others over the years), actually originated in the treasure of the sierra madre (1948).

"badges? we ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. i don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
Old Feb 8, 2001, 12:11 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
For the other side of the coin!

How many of you check out and leave to wonder if you packed everything, because you might have put something in the drawers, that you never use, therefore didn't give a final check?

Old Feb 8, 2001, 12:36 am

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"
--Gold Hat, as played by Alfonso Bedoya in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (1948)

This site aims to be the primary Internet resource for any and all references to the aforementioned quote. But as you can see, i could use some help filling in the blanks.

http://www.darryl.com/badges/

Old Feb 8, 2001, 5:45 am

Has anyone seen Four Rooms?

After seeing that, I always look for dead bodies under the bed and needles on the bedspread.
Old Feb 8, 2001, 8:28 am
GG

BizJet: "I always look for dead bodies under the bed"

Only when we're in South Florida

Dianne47: "What about checking the clock radio...?"

If ONLY I could remember to do that every time! And at some properties, every night!

Checkout rituals: I look in all the drawers if I unpacked at all, then LexPax looks in all the drawers even if I didn't unpack. We still manage to leave stuff.
Over the years I've probably lost enough clothes to outfit a third world family.
Old Feb 8, 2001, 10:09 am

I make sure I know exactly where the fire exits are.

And I check the alarm clock. Both lessons were learned the hard way.
Old Feb 8, 2001, 10:39 am

Originally posted by GG:
Dianne47: "What about checking the clock radio...?"

If ONLY I could remember to do that every time! And at some properties, every night!
Don't just check the alarm setting, check the channel. How many times have I set the radio to a classical channel in the morning, only to be awakened by the maid's favorite mariachi music station!
Old Feb 8, 2001, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Actually, I forgot to mention the alarm clock. When they first started putting them into hotels, they got me a lot. Now, regardless of whether I think I have it figured out, I reset the alarm for noon so if it goes off, I won't be there. That is, if I don't need it myself. I foolishly thought that turning off the alarm should be part of maid service.

I surely agree about the dirty comforter but I usually keep it anyway. I like the better hotels which encase the blanket in clean sheets.

Don't forget the call for turndown since it is no longer automatic. Sometimes we tell them just to leave the chocolates!! Once, in San Diego, we got an actual seashell for turndown! We were looking for the choclate variety...

What irritates me is to arrive in the room and find the wrong kind of bed. Like the computer has no idea. And I did arrive once after dinner to find someone lying on my bed watching TV - she had the same name and they gave her my key. I asked her if she didn't notice that luggage was already in the room. Then I booted her out! She actually thought I was the one who would be going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.