Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Hotel advice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2001, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Paris Hotel advice?

We got some great airfare deals for our first trip to Paris, France. Now we were wondering if you seasoned flyers might have some advice re. where to stay / how to get a reasonable hotel rate. We will be in Paris April 14-22. Hope to just use public transport and see all the usual hotspots.
Merci
Old Mar 5, 2001, 8:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
I highly recommend the Libertel chain of hotels. They range from the French equivalent of a Fairfield Inn all the way up to the equivalent of a Marriott. Select the location that is right for your budget and is in a desirable area. I last stayed at the Libertel Gare de Lyon (on the Fairfield end of the scale). Enjoyable stay, with friendly staff and clean rooms (though small).
http://www.libertel-hotels.com/

------------------
FlyersPlaces.com...a community site for recommending your favorite hotels, restaurants and bars!
flyers'places
Old Mar 5, 2001, 8:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We had a really nice balcony room at the Hilton overlooking the Eifle tower. It was very reasonably priced too. The river, subway, and train are just a couple of blocks away.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Our family has stayed twice at the *** Hotel Ares and has been very satisfied. We got the reference from a neighbor that stays there twice each year. You can find them on Travelocity - their rates are usually around 700 Francs for a double.

It is a block and a half from the La Motte Piquet Grenelle stop on the Metro, which is on the #6,8,10 lines. It is just across the border into the 15th. The hotel is in a nice residential/small business neighborhood within walking distance of Invalides. There is a very nice restaurant called La Pere Claude nearby as well.
Old Mar 5, 2001, 9:58 pm

Paris is my favorite city in the entire world, but since this is your first trip there, I would like to give you what I believe is some valuable advice:

1.Be extremely wary about pickpockets, especially in the Metro and the train stations. These people will spot you as a foreigner from a block away and you won't believe how slick they are are until it's too late. Wearing one of those security pouches under your clothing (out of reach of
prying hands) and keeping some spending money handy (so you don't have to pull your wallet out on the street for every little expense) is the best way to go.

2.Be extremely suspicious of anybody who approaches you, speaks to you in English, offers to "help" you in some way, then starts following you around, telling you waht to do, or asks you to follow them to another location (for example to some "special ticket booth" which just happens to be off in a dark corner, etc.)

3.If anybody approaches you and points out that you have mustard / ice cream / dirt / cigarette ashes, etc. on your clothing and offers to "help" clean it off fot you, watch out because you are about to have your pocket picked.

4.If anybody "falls" in front of you on an escalator in the Metro, causing a pileup of people, watch out for a pair of hands from behind you that will wind up taking the contents of your pockets.

I hope I don't sound too bitter or paranoid, but I was just there in January (my 12th or 13th trip) and within 10 minutes of arriving at the Gare du Nord from Charles de Gaulle (while transferring from the RER to the Metro), two different con men had already tried to scam me.

Now for the standard tourist advice:

1.Get a Michelin Paris Atlas. Basically,
it's a map of Paris folded in book form (a little bigger than a paperback) with every street indexed. It's extremely easy to carry and you will be able to not only find where you are at any time (without having to open up a 3' x 5' map), but even more importantly you will be able to locate the nearest Metro stop.

2.One of the more unusual destinations that most tourists miss is Pere Lachaise Cemetery.
Since you have several days there, I would highly recommend seeing it. I think it's fasinating (especially if you have a map showing all of the famous people, available at the front gate and also printed in the Michelin Guide). Also, look for the memorials to the concentration camp victims near the back wall. The sculptures and the inscriptions on the monuments are really moving and not to be missed.

3.There is an interesting pedestrian area
just off the Boulevard St. Michel with lots of small ethnic restaurants (Greek, Turkish, Italian, Thai, etc.). Look for Rue de la Hachette (just south of the Seine, off Blvd. St. Michel) and the nearby pedestrian streets. Inexpensive food and fun just to walk around.

4.Take a walk through the Ile St Louis, the island just behind the Ile de la Cite (where Notre Dame is located). There are at least 3 hotels on the island (including Lutece) and
if it's in your budget, this is a very nice, calm oasis of an area to stay in.

Good luck and have a great (and safe) trip!

Regards,

Mike
Old Mar 5, 2001, 10:06 pm

Also, for you and anyone else fortunate enough to be going to Paris around Easter time, the day after Easter is a National holiday in France and many tourist areas will be closed. Also, be aware that many places of interest do close on specific days during the week (I believe the Louvre is closed on Tuesdays). Bon Voyage !
Old Mar 6, 2001, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Although Dogcanyon is trying to be helpful, remember that advice is good for any big city. So don't worry. Paris is one of the safest cities in the world. You are going to have a wonderful time. The HIlton is great if you can get a good deal. Try the website (www.hilton.com). Another decent choice with reasonable rates is the Holiday Inn Place de la Republique. Additionally, unlike London, there are tons of relatively inexpensive places that are quite nice.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

You guys are wonderful! Thanks for all the tips. I am really excited about going to Paris. Your tips should make it a more rich experience (and safer too).
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
what is your price target?
Old Mar 7, 2001, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
puppypaws:

Here's wishing you a marvelous time in Paris, my favorite city among all that I have visited.

Having just returned from the City of Light on Feb. 27 (took my sister and a dear friend for their first trip to Paris) and having stayed for the fifth time (in two years) at the *Hôtel Relais Bosquet* in the Seventh Arrondissement, I can heartily recommend it to anyone.

It is located just off Avenue Bosquet, on rue du Champ de Mars, two blocks from the "Ecole Militaire" Métro station (line 8). The pleasant pedestrian street, rue Cler (with many shops and markets), is a block and a half away.

The hotel is a bit upscale and maintains high standards of housekeeping and maintenance. It is a very peaceful, quiet place - perfect for recharging your batteries after seeing the sights of the city.

The neighborhood is safe and quiet and you will find cafés, restaurants, bakeries, wine shops, charcuteries and cheese shops all very close at hand - some across the street or next door; others within a block or two.

The proprietors and staff are very friendly and acccommodating and will take good care of you.

Here is a link to their web site:
http://www.relais-bosquet.com

If you would like any more suggestions for Paris or more specific information about the hotel, please email me privately and I will be glad to help you.

Bon voyage!

Bill
Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:57 am

Puppypaws. I cannot recommend more strongly any recommenations that bbinchi may provide. He is a mine of useful information, and will tell you in such terms that you will slaver with anticipation! All the advice here is first class. Don't be afraid, but be aware. If you are looking for something in the FF410 per night range,let me know and drop me a mail.it is clean, quiet, quintessentially french, but no CNN (to me that's a recommendation in itself!).

Don't miss the Sainte-Chapelle whatever you do. It is the jewel of Paris.

Paul
Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:59 am

Puppypaws, sorry, I've just realise that you are planning on being there over Easter. Make your reservation quickly, Paris will be heaving with people that week.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 7:13 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Be extremely suspicious of anybody who approaches you, speaks to you in English, offers to "help" you in some way, then starts following you around, telling you waht to do, or asks you to follow them to another location
ROFLOL!!!! YES, I totally agree. Unless the person actually works in a service industry that caters to tourists (hotel, tours, etc) be wary of ANY Parisian who voluntarily speaks English to you!!!

Along those lines, my advice is to brush up on your French. At least have a few basic phrases down. While this is sage advice for any country you visit, it is all the more so in Paris where the difference between being able and being willing to speak English is very, very blurry .

And do take the time/effort to climb the Arc D'Triumph. Its a heck of a lot of stairs, but the view of Paris is 10 times better then the view up there in the clouds on the Eiffel Tower.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
bbinchi...your post makes me want to drop everything and go immediately for a week at the Hotel Relais Bosquet. I've added the link to my bookmarks for future use.

I agree with kokonutz, the view from the top of the Arc de Triomphe is great and you can really get your bearings from up there. I'd rather take the elevator, though.
Here's a great link: http://www.paris.org/Monuments/Arc

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 8, 2001, 1:37 pm
formerly known as RK7

Programs: Many
We stayed at Relais Bosquet two years ago and concur that it was perfect. To be able to walk over to the rue Cler in two minutes for a snack makes it all the more attractive. You're also a half block from the Metro and a block or two from the Invalides which has a very nice military museum along with Napoleon's tomb. Go to Cafe MAX for lunch on your walk over to Invalides. Dark and dingy but great food and a wonderful propietor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.