Wiki Posts
Search

ORD for 12 hours, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2001, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ORD for 12 hours, what to do?

March 25: arriving at 5:00 a.m., departing at 5:00 p.m.

A hotel would be nice but it is splitting the day and didn't really want to pay for 2 days. The Admirals club is nice but for 12 hours?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dick
Old Mar 13, 2001, 6:58 pm

You could get a day room at a local hotel. I did once at the ORD Hilton--checked in at 8 am, and left at 4 pm. Cost me $80 two years ago.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:37 pm

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
day rate is usually a good plan. Every hotel I've ever tried to get a real early check in has let me. Sleep until 2pm and spend 2 1/2 hours in the AA club. Thats what I usually try to do. Or, call down and ask for a delayed check-out. Stay in your room til 4 if you can.
Old Mar 13, 2001, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Dick,

Take the train from the airport into town.
You can do the museums and or just hang out.
The 2nd city is a great place to enjoy a steak. Wish I could join you for lunch.

Regards,
Dan
Old Mar 14, 2001, 1:12 am

The CTA into the city will set you back $1.50, $3.00 round trip. Have singles so you can buy a pass for the exact amount you need. If you do take the train into the city, be sure to allow plenty of time to get back to the airport.

5am is long before my internal clock goes off, especially on a Sunday, I would be inclined to sleep. The airport Hilton also offers a day pass to their health club for $10 or so. I am not sure when the A/C opens on Sunday...but I think it might be later than your arrival.

I have no idea how I would spend 12 hours in Chicago...and I live here. I suppose I might do a big Sunday brunch somewhere, then go down to Navy Pier and enjoy the lake. Have fun.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I'm thinking the hotel might be the best after a red eye from SEA and then another red eye to FRA.

Dan: We'll have to meet up sometime. To bad AA doesn't fly 747's, I guess you'll have to invite me to the top deck sometime.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Sunday AM in Chicago is not exactly a hopping place, at least not until about 10am, and there are no sleep-friendly recliners in the Admirals' Club.

Given that your return flight is at 5pm, I think the day room is probably your best bet. The ORD Hilton is the easiest, but you might be able to get better rates at some of the Rosemont properties.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:45 am

Programs: United
Sleep? You can do that on the flight to Frankfort. Enjoy Chicago while you're here. You can take the "El" from O'Hare to downtown for $1.50. It's a 40 minute ride. You can check out the top of the Hancock Building or the Sears Tower Skydeck. There are some great museums and great shopping along Michigan Avenue. I could join you for lunch if you're interested.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sleep, you bet. Last week I just did the 2 red eye flights and then return back to SEA from CDG after a 3 hour layover without a real bed.

Premex2000: I decided to get a cheap room via Priceline at the Doubletree Rosemont. I'm guessing I'll checkout around noon to 1:00 p.m. Does this leave enough time to meet for lunch and have me at the gate at 4:15?

Thanks,

Dick
Old Mar 14, 2001, 11:34 am

12 hours in ORD, I did it once with my Brazilian passport without US Visa...
We're locked into TWOV room all the time
Anything is better than that, trust me. Even if you stay all time in the Admirals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.