Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Its Working! :) The Newark Monorail is Working!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2001, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold

I just got back from EWR and can report that the monorail is FINALLY operational. There are very few pax, many cars running empty. Therefore, many potential users are unaware that its running, and think it might be still under test. The signboards in the terminals (at least in Terminal A) have a sticker across them indicating the present status.

Old Mar 11, 2001, 11:28 am

Thanks for that info UAL traveler. I came on 3/9 and it was still being tested. It has been a pain in the neck while it was being tested. BTW, do you have any update on the proposed Newark airport station's opening date?
Old Mar 12, 2001, 9:05 am

You are right! When I left on 3/8, it was not working and when I returned yesterday, 3/11 it was. Even though I saw it running, I didn't think anything about it until I got to the bus and the driver told me it was working. After the long flight back from HKG, however, I didn't feel like going anywhere else and he took me right to my van. yahoo!
Old Mar 12, 2001, 9:32 am

Originally posted by MSP2000:
BTW, do you have any update on the proposed Newark airport station's opening date?
The official word is still that the station linking Amtrak and NJ Transit with the EWR Monorail will open in "late 2001". Supposedly, the monorail additions are complete, though testing of the new segments was waiting for the airport section to reopen. I also understand that the necessary track relocations are complete, but the station still needs to be completed.

It sure would be nice to see this in place before the holidays...but I won't hold my breath!!
Old Mar 13, 2001, 1:28 am

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
whilst blowing past it at 125mph on the Acela Express (takes all the hate and angst out of going to Philadelphia, i tell ya!), i saw two monorail cars sitting there by the station. i assume testing on that section must be starting. The station seems to have some progress occurring, but i'm no good with construction, so i can't venture an edumacated guess.

it will be good for the parking "fun" at EWR in the long run, methinks.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The monorail was operating within the airport this morning, and several trains were apparently parked on the unopened section extending to the railroad tracks.

Bruce
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:59 am

Originally posted by bdschobel:
The monorail was operating within the airport this morning, and several trains were apparently parked on the unopened section extending to the railroad tracks.

Bruce
Wow! Could those be the extra trains ordered for when the extension opens? Could Adtranz have actually delivered something on time?!

Personally, I am overjoyed that the monorail is open and ecstatic about the coming rail link. After missing a flight in December due to the hour-long traffic jams WITHIN the airport complex, I welcome anything that will get traffic OFF of the airport roadways.

Let's just hope they've gotten it right this time!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.