Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATMs in Hong Kong- Beware.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2001, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

ATMs in Hong Kong- Beware.

But only if you're as dim-witted as I am.
I always use my debit card to get foreign cash. It's always worked great everywhere I've been.
The other day, after my fifteen hour flight to hkg, I tried to get cash from the ATM at the HKG airport. Slide the card in, punch in the PIN (I memorized the sequence visually so I don't need to look at the key pad- my code is a name). Code invalid. Hum. Try again. Code invalid again. Something's up. I don't want to risk a third attempt and have my card swallowed.

I make it to the hotel by paying for the train ticket with a visa.

The next day, I walk to to Nathan Road's ATM and look at the keypads of the ATM carefully. Surprise: Instead of the usual 123,456,789,0 (starting from the top left of the keypad), I found out that the ATMs in HKG have 123 on the bottom row, and 798 on the top one!

I could have been cashless for my entire trip. So if you're as absent-minded as I am, watch out and read those keypads.
Old Feb 25, 2001, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Droneklax, good advice. The same thing happened to me a while back, after arriving in Narita. I decided to get cash at an ATM before I left the terminal. The upside-down keypad took me aback. I knew my PIN by pattern, but had little confidence I knew the numbers. So, (and this is embarrassing), I slowly traced the pattern out on the keypad, juxtaposing the keys in my head to figure out the numbers, which I then carefully keyed in!
Old Feb 25, 2001, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, BA Gold, Shang Elite
interesting i had been using both ATMs in HKG and US, never noticed this difference, how absent minded i am
Old Feb 28, 2001, 10:54 am

Droneklax -- I've made the same mistake in Europe. Now I know better - remember to punch your PIN by numbers, not by letters!
Old Feb 28, 2001, 5:01 pm

Perhaps this thread would have been more appropriately titled, "EYES - THAT'S WHAT THEY'RE FOR."

[This message has been edited by Harold Bahls (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old Mar 1, 2001, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Psychologists on the board may be better able to explain this. I understand that it is a well understood phenomenon that routine tasks (punching ATM pin numbers, scanning roads while driving, etc.) are glossed over by the mind and you may do things without remembering all the details.

I forgot the technical term but am hoping someone more knowledgeable can give pointers.

That said - thanks folks for reminding us about the variations in keypads. Is this related to different language scripts or cultural difference? What is the reasoning to move away from forces of standardization?
Old Mar 1, 2001, 4:45 pm

The Hong Kong system is standard. Have a loook at any desk calculator, the numeric keyboard on your PC, etc.

------------------
Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.