Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Euro Currency?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:58 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Here is the deal. Starting Jan 1 2002 the new currency is scheduled to go into circulation. However, each country participating in the € has a six month period to phase in and out the new and old. Some may start sooner, some later.

Not all countries in the EU are chaningingto the €, for example, England will not join the € for at least a few years (or until they put the Queen on the notes.)

Some credit card transactions are now done in €s and my bank account has already been converted to €s.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Does anyone know if US banks will accept foreign currency exchanges to Euro's?
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:47 pm

All commercial transactions were converted to Euros in the year 2000. Denmark voters decided not to join the single currency. England will vote on this sometime in the future.

I am sure you will be able to find a bank that will allow you to convert currency into Euro's but at the fee they will likely charge you it may be cheaper to fly to Europe and do it yourself.

With everyone going to the same monetary unit, it will become very obvious to all about the difference in prices from country to country for the exact same item(some of this has to do with taxes). Currently, a Mercedes Benz A class might cost XXX in French Francs and YYY in Porutguese Escudos. After the conversion, people will be asking why the car in Portugal cost several thousand less
Eruos than where they live.

All in all this is going to make life better for everyone unless your job is in an airport currency exchange booth.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 3:32 pm

Good thread. BEWARE, alway be very certain the credit card you are signing is in Euros or local currency. Check. Some people have made expensive (and I mean expensive mistakes) FFR 500 and Eu 500 have very different conversions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.