Wiki Posts
Search

Favor from Priceline Bidders

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2000, 5:28 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Favor from Priceline Bidders

I know quite a few FT'ers have been very successful bidding for hotel stays through Priceline as a result of knowledge and/or free bonus money they have learned about solely from the message board I host to discuss bidding. In return for what the board has given you, it would be very much appreciated by the members of the board if you would post your bidding experiences there. We have lots of FT'ers who are regular valued contributors, yet some of you haven't posted at all. Thank you very much.
http://pub4.ezboard.com/bpricelineandexpediabidding
Old Nov 17, 2000, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I used Priceline only after stumbling across the AmEx offer from the Americanexpress.com site (have never even considered them for air tickets). Haven't used your board.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Sheryl,
What's the deal with BAIT and SWITCH at Priceline?
I logged in to get a hotel. As I started down the process, a screen came up at said if I sign up for a Discover Card, PL would put $75 towards the room. As I continued, the deal changed to $25! Hmmm.

This may be my first and last time using THEM.

Dan
Old Nov 19, 2000, 4:08 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Looks like you were bidding for a 3 night stay so the $75 would really be $25 per night. I agree that it's deceptive. Unfortunately, it's not the only thing that's less than stellar in how Priceline conducts their business. That's why the board I host is really valuable to users, because we discuss these things and learn how to work around them.

There are free bonus money offers available on my board that do not require signing up for anything.

Others have repeatedly posted here that you should go to my board if you plan to use Priceline. Obviously I'm not going to argue with that, but unfortunately people just don't like to take the time. Believe me, you won't regret it.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 4:25 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Excellent advice form Sheryl here, IMHO!
Old Nov 19, 2000, 6:57 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
Sheryl, I just checked out your board. I like it .

I like Priceline for hotels ONLY, and your board has good hotel info.

I found Priceline useless for rental cars. I tried about four different rental car bids (diff. car sizes) at about 6 to 7 dollars a day below the best available rate I could find using publicly-available rate codes on major companies, and always got rejected. If I can only save two to four dollars a day using Priceline, I'll take my double points or double miles at Budget or Hertz.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 7:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Sheryl does a great job with her board. I've been following it dating back to when it was hosted by a different service (I think it was on Yahoo at the beginning).

I just bid this afternoon for a 3 star in Atlanta in January. Got a Sheraton downtown for $20 plus Priceline fee/taxes (came out to $29). I did research recent bids on her board before making my bid. something that is very worthwhile, and also used a link she has posted for American Express $20 bonus money, added to your bid.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Long story but I inadvertently found I booked a minivan for 2 weeks in Lihue, Hawaii for $331 inc. tax & fees (latter half of December) - base rate being $18/day. Lowest rate I could find was $514 inc. tax from National. The van will be supplied by National.
Old Nov 19, 2000, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I think Priceline for HOTELS, and Sheryl's board for guidance on it, is nearly the best thing I have found on FT. I would NEVER book an airline ticket on them, as I want to be CERTAIN of flying only UA, but in a major city I could not care LESS what Hotel chain I stay at, as long as it is 3 or 4 stars and is located right where I need to be. Priceline allows you to be specific on location, but not the chain.

You MUST read her boards here for recent "success" stories from flyers, so you can be "right on the money" when you bid, and thus not waste your time or theirs. The one downside I see to Priceline is if you bid too low you get only a few shots at it, then you need to go back again a day or so later. Life is too short. It I see on Sheryl's board someone got the Seattle Doubletree for $30 last week, I will bid $32 or $33 to save messing about so I can lock it in right then.

And be strong willed. If Sheryl's people say that hotel has been going for $30, and you bid $32 the cunning Pricleline computer will say "Hotels in this area of Seattle usually sell for $85-$165 a night, so your present bid of $32 has a very small chance of success - do you wish to proceed now or raise your bid to give you a better chance?". Press "Proceed" and do not be bullied, as long as you have done your homework on Sheryl's boards FIRST!

I stayed at that rate there last week, and saved WAY over $100. (But Terenz paid way less the next day!) Same as Westin Lax in Sept. for $40 or Marriott O'Hare next month for $40 etc. All way over $100 less per night than booking direct.

You really MUST bookmark this site below if you own an Amex card .. it gives you a $20 break right away if you enter their site using this link:

www.priceline.com/hotels/itinerary.asp?free=amexsave

Read Tom911's post above ... he sums it up well. I'll post to your link Sheryl and thanks for the fine resource.

I ASSUME this is the link board we should use Sheryl, to leave comments?:

http://pub4.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...ismessageboard

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 11-19-2000).]
Old Nov 21, 2000, 11:23 am
Suspended

I must look into Priceline for Hotels. thanks for tip.
Old Nov 21, 2000, 6:58 pm

I found Sheryl's board because of a post here on FT. Until I spent A LOT of time( which I strongly recommend) reading the board, I didn't "trust" Priceline. I've only used it once so far and I'll be staying at the Crown Plaza MIA this week. I saved over 60% off the CHEAPEST rate I could find on the HI website, Travelocity, and Expedia.

If you're paying for your own hotels, are a little flexible regarding chains, and are willing to read the board to learn the in's & outs of bidding at Priceline, you may just save a good chunk of cash.

As Sheryl requested, please do everyone a favor and post your complete bidding experiences(incl. hotel/room descrip. after stay) on her board.

[This message has been edited by billlwr30 (edited 11-21-2000).]
Old Nov 21, 2000, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad to find out about your board, Sheryl, it looks very helpful and now I will try to bid on some hotels using Priceline!
Old Nov 24, 2000, 12:13 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!
Hmmm, I just posted an accepted bid on that forum, and decided to check out FT after a few weeks away (major computer crash ). Well, Sheryl's right, the more people who post and share their priceline experiences...the more people will benefit and learn to get a great price! I use this forum a lot. Thanks a lot, Sheryl!

Some of my own personally accepted bids include BWI Marriott $23 (twice), Loew's L'Enfant in DC $61, Palmer House Hilton in Chicago $33, Marriott Washington $30, Wyndham Palace in Orlando $42, Marriott Marina in San Diego $45, US Grant in San Diego $45, Sheraton Suites in Tampa $30, St. Petersburg Hilton in Florida $52 or $60?, and others that I can't remember right at the moment. All these bids were accepted using the additional $20 a night AMEX bonus offer and taxes and fee were added.

Really helps my budget (Sheraton bids were counted towards my status this year!) and I can travel MORE for the same amount of $$$. Yeah, can't bring myself to travel the same for less $$$.

Linda
Old Nov 24, 2000, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I just noticed on my Hilton statment my $32 Doubletree Seattle stay counted as a "stay" on my HHonors account, and the Westin showed as a Sheraton stay too. Don't know how, but I am not arguing! That $20 Amex bidding link I posted above expires December 31 folks in case anyone needs to lock in some Priceline Hotel deales for early 2001!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Nov 24, 2000, 4:55 pm
In memoriam
Original Poster

Several weeks ago, the Amex bonus money offer was extended to expire on 4/1/01. It's stated as such on the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.