Wiki Posts
Search

ORD alternatie

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2000, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
ORD alternatie

I hate the big city airports! I previously had many flights to the northeast an constantly used MHT, PVD, ABE, etc... Soon, most of my work will be in and around Chicago. What are some good alternatives for that while trying to keep business with DL?
Old Nov 29, 2000, 7:06 am
In memoriam

DL serves Chicago Midway.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 7:51 am

Programs: United
If your work takes you to the northern suburbs of Chicago, consider flying to Milwaukee's airport. Midwest Express has its hub there and is consistently ranked the best airline in the country -- wide leather seats, fresh baked cookies, etc. I've never flown on ME -- and I'd be a little reluctant given that their planes average about 25 years old, but they always rank at the top. If your business is in the south or southeastern suburbs, the new Pan Am flies to the very convenient Gary, Indiana airport. (They have free unlimited parking at the airport if you can believe that!). But Pan Am has a very limited schedule now. I think they fly from St. Louis (actually a nearby airport), Sanford, Florida (outside of Orlando) and Portsmouth, New Hampshire to Gary. Plus, their planes are old and who knows how well-maintained they are.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 12:02 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
If you are able to fly in/out of MKE on Midwest Express, and it is not too far from your final destination, do it. If you are somewhere north of the city, it will take you the same amount of time to get to MDW as it does to get to MKE. Midwest Express flights are a great alternative, and the service is excellent. Have flown them and been extremely pleased that I did.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 12:26 pm
In memoriam

Hmmm. Did you guys read where he said he wanted to keep his business with DL?
Old Nov 29, 2000, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
If you have business west or northwest of Chicago, you might also consider Madison, WI (MSN). They have a very nice, small airport and the town is great. It is the capitol of Wisconsin and the home of the University of Wisconsin. Lots to do, excellent restaurants, etc.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 1:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
And Madison is 'the next best place outside ®Emmenthal, Switzerland' to get the (imitation) of ®Swiss Cheese. A very nice place not so far from there is 'New Glarus' where more than half the population is ex-swiss, still nowadays.
Old Nov 29, 2000, 1:59 pm

Location: IAD/DCA via OMA, ATL, AUO, AMS, ORD/MDW, IAD/DCA, LHR/LGW, DEN, SEA, DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Gold; HILTON Gold; Ex UA PremEx
Madison also has the famous German-style beer hall called Essen Haus!
http://www.essenhaus-cbi.com/essenhome.html

I'm not sure if Madison applies to Delta, however. I know United Express flies there (out of O'Hare -- which of course defeats the purpose). I think TWA Express flies there out of St. Louis as well (but this isn't Delta either).

Another option I suppose would be the BAA-run Indianapolis International Airport. It's only about an 1.5-hour drive to the north (though you have to go through the rusted steel-mill section of Gary, IN). I'm certain you can get to IND via CVG or ATL (though it may be a 737 -- yuk!)...

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by ORD12 (edited 11-29-2000).]
Old Nov 29, 2000, 3:27 pm

One important factor is flying out of MDW is usually cheaper than ORD or MSN because of the Southwest factor.

I'm likely going to be buzzing through MDW for a few hours to visit a friend.

I am literally being PAID to stop into Chicago (with some extra miles too, thank you very much)...

CO/NW codeshare flights:
BDL-CLE-MSP-OMA is $303 RT.
BDL-CLE-MDW-MSP-OMA is $300 RT.

A very nice way to start the new year!

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Nov 29, 2000, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Originally posted by DLSIZE:
I hate the big city airports! I previously had many flights to the northeast an constantly used MHT, PVD, ABE, etc... Soon, most of my work will be in and around Chicago. What are some good alternatives for that while trying to keep business with DL?
DLSIZE,

Why fight what will ultimately become reality? See you on the United board and looking forward to welcoming you to lovely O'Hare!
Old Nov 30, 2000, 8:01 am

Location: IAD/DCA via OMA, ATL, AUO, AMS, ORD/MDW, IAD/DCA, LHR/LGW, DEN, SEA, DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Gold; HILTON Gold; Ex UA PremEx
DLSIZE,

Don't let 'em fool you. The Delta side of O'Hare's not bad. Concourse L is away from most of the madness of T1, the agelessness of T2, and Concourses G/H/K that support AA.

While departing, you only have to face a few AA flights on the south side of L as you head out to the (albeit shabby) Crown Room or Fox Sports Bar to await your flight. The rest is Delta-land... pleasantly tucked away from the zany world of UA and AA.

While arriving, you're already at the end of ORD, so you're out of there fairly quickly. You still, however, have to join in on the mess that is the Kennedy Expressway!
Old Nov 30, 2000, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
"Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indaniana, not Lousianna, Paris, France, New York, or Rome!"
Old Nov 30, 2000, 10:58 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'd say go with DL at Midway (MDW), sure the airport is currently small and almost bus station-like, but its only 20-25min on the Orange Line up to the Loop and they are in the midst of a major expansion of the property.
Old Nov 30, 2000, 2:50 pm
Original Member

dl at MDW does not have jetways. Not comfortable in the winter.

If possible, Midwest Express at MKE--you will be so much happier and better cared for.

Also excellent used book store at the MKE airport is WONDERFUL for killing time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.