Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

WHAT is going on in Washington DC on the 17th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2000, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

I've been trying to reserve a room in the Washington DC/Arlington area for the period 15 - 18 Oct, and inevitably the 17th is the problem. There appear to be no rooms with most chains (Marriott, Starwood) or only a rack-rate room with Hilton at Crystal City (and no room at the other Hiltons).

Something has certainly sucked up the supply. Any idea what?
Old Oct 8, 2000, 10:33 pm

I'm having the same problem for the 21st.

------------------
Someday we'll reach an understanding - meet me halfway that's where I'm going to be.
Old Oct 8, 2000, 10:35 pm

Did you try priceline.com? It seems the chain does not bother you. Punch in $100 a room and see what happens - they seem to have inventory on hand at times if you "bid" the correct price. Sherly has all kinds of $20 Amex etc extra bidding bonues on her site to add to your "pay". www.priceline.com/hotels/itinerary.asp?free=amexsave
Old Oct 10, 2000, 6:01 pm
Original Member

Probably conventions. I have one there. Maybe you should try the boutique hotels like Hotel Gorge and Hay Adams. You can find them at www.lhw.com
Old Oct 11, 2000, 9:00 am

Counsellor -- Try "turbotrip", they show availability of Sheraton National Hotel Arlington ($129) and Holiday Inn and Suites in Alexandria ($159) for the 17th of October.

Intercity Aviation -- same deal, plenty of availability for the 21st in a dozen or so hotels.
http://www.turbotrip.com/usa/dc/wash...iewhotels.html
Old Oct 11, 2000, 10:22 am

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
The AUSA (Association of the U.S. Army) is holding their annual Convention from the 13-18. Different events are taking place in several hotels.

good luck,

DD
Old Oct 11, 2000, 3:05 pm

Million Family March October 16, 1,000,000
expected on the Mall.
Old Oct 11, 2000, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Business Objects Conference 15th-18th.
Old Oct 15, 2000, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by Eugene:
Counsellor -- Try "turbotrip", they show availability of Sheraton National Hotel Arlington ($129) and Holiday Inn and Suites in Alexandria ($159) for the 17th of October.

Intercity Aviation -- same deal, plenty of availability for the 21st in a dozen or so hotels.
http://www.turbotrip.com/usa/dc/wash...iewhotels.html
Thanks, Eugene. I tried the link but it didn't show anything for the 17th. However, I kept trying at about 6 hour intervals, and sure enough, the $129 at Sheraton finally came up. I then held that window open and looked on the Sheraton website, but it didn't show there.

Apparently turbotrip has a different feed than the chain website. Interesting. (And useful!)

Thanks again!
Old Oct 15, 2000, 10:19 pm
Original Member

Counsellor, let me know if there's somthing that I can do for you locally since I am already in DC.
Old Oct 16, 2000, 12:01 pm
BIM

Might be related to the "Million Family March"...
Old Oct 24, 2000, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all. FlyerTalkers are really the best!

Sorry I was too tied up to be able to have dinner with some of the folks in DC, but we were doing working lunches, then refining positions well into the night. I think the earliest I got back to the hotel (any of the hotels I stayed at this trip) was well after 9 PM. One night we were so late the food service places in the hotel were closed, and the only thing I had to eat was a Doubletree chocolate chip cookie I scored off of a sympathetic receptionist. (Of course, if you remember the size of the cookies, that sufficed nicely.)
Old Oct 24, 2000, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have lots of problems booking Wash DC hotels in general, for folks coming into town. It is surprising, it is locked up tighter than SF sometimes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.