Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What will happen if I miss my scheduled flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2000, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

I have r/t tix for a DSM to DEN flight in about a week.

I am not 100% sure that I can make it.

Is there any difference between calling a day or two ahead of the flight and cancelling (and incurring the $75 penalty) versus not calling UAL to notify them that I would like to cancel (but calling them later and telling them that I was not able to make the flight)?

Thanks folks, rnmcd
Old Oct 1, 2000, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It all depends.

1.) Type of fare you are ticketed governs the penalty involved (if any).
2.) Is DSM to DEN your return or your outbound?
Old Oct 1, 2000, 5:56 pm
Original Member

I've missed a few flights over the years and I've never had a a problem. They always put me on the next available flight.
Old Oct 1, 2000, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Seawolf- DSM to DEN is my outbound.

Boomer- my situation is that if I miss the flight I won't be able to leave for about a month due to other engagements.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks, rnmcd
Old Oct 1, 2000, 8:42 pm
Original Member

If its the return, then you should be able to change it for the typical $75 fee.

I would call united and ask them.

I don't fly united so I dont know their policies.

You should also try posting this in the United Forum here on flyertalk. The folks there should know United's policies.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 8:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If it is your outbound, then you can not really "use" your ticket but you could "apply" the value of the ticket onto the new flights minus penalties if any.

Supposely (this is not only for UA), you will be charged for the then current fare for the new flights when you make the change.

In other words, the fare is the same as if you had just decided to buy a new ticket. You can apply the value of the ticket you have right now minus any penalty stated on your current ticket for such such a change (usually $75 unless you have a refundable ticket).

So, if you make the change on the day of your new flight's departure, you will be pretty much charged the full fare. If you make the change 7-days before the new flight's departure, you *could* qualify for an advance purchase fare if such seats are left. The same for 14, and 21 days. Again, you can't really "use your current ticket" other than applying its value onto the new flights because you are changing the outbound.

If you were changing the return, then it's $75 penalty (unless refundable ticket) and if the booking code of your ticket is available.
Old Oct 2, 2000, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had this very situation on a ticket with United. They told me as long as the ticket has not been activated (made first flight on it) and you still leave the same day and still go the same place and don't change the return there are no fees or penalties and no change in fare. I just needed to leave later the same day. Worked fine.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rnmcd
Seawolf- DSM to DEN is my outbound.

Boomer- my situation is that if I miss the flight I won't be able to leave for about a month due to other engagements.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks, rnmcd
Congradulations
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by twotooto
Congradulations
You revived a nearly 13-year-old thread for this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.