Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Excuse me, you're in your seat AND ALSO IN MINE!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2000, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I have once more been seated on a plane (737) next to someone who could have easily filled two coach seats. He literally spilled out into the aisle, and unfortunately, onto me on his other side...shoulders pressed against mine, arms all over the armrest, hips pressing up next to me, etc. and he had an extension he added to his seatbelt. Forget about trying to step by him to get to the bathroom.

I feel for a man who is so huge, as I know how uncomfortable it must be every time he flies, BUT on the other hand I expected to be able to fully occupy the seat I paid for. If he couldn't fit into a coach seat he should have flown up front or purchased two seats.
Old Aug 25, 2000, 4:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Welcome to FT.

If you run a "search" on this subject you will find it has been discussed AT LENGTH before.

Lots of opinions, but little resolution. It does seem clear to me that at some point a passenger should have to pay for an extra seat, especially to the extent that the airline does not accommodate everyone to use the seat they paid for.

Drawing the line is obviously a problem. Does the airline have some responsibility to have seat to "fit the average plus" size passenger? Do they have a responsibility to have a size criterion for a passenger? If they are responsibe AND made some rules, would they enforce them? They do not seem to make any real effort in enforcing the carry on baggage rules they set.

Not good for anyone they way it is.

Maybe an economy plus seat, width, not legroom, is in order. Anyone can purchase at a prorata increase in price, rather than double. Some people would be required to purchase one (hight/weigh combo?).

While this is a very real problem for some large people and those force to sit next to them, it does not seem to get enough "complaining" formally to cause a change. Perhaps children, and "slight people" should get a discount if they agree to sit next to a "larger" person who would pay the difference?
Old Aug 25, 2000, 6:46 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
i have a friend who is large, when she flies coach, she just buys two tickets, says she doesnot want to be in someone elses face....

wonder she also gets two meals???
(or double mileage?, i think she should!)
Old Aug 25, 2000, 7:07 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
They have templates for carry-ons, ...
Old Aug 25, 2000, 7:42 pm

One of the replies is correct. There was a heated discussion with many reponses about the post. The post was titled "Occupy more than your seat--That's seat theft!" or something similar.

If the passenger was so large, they should have purchased a second seat, which is sold at half price.
Old Aug 25, 2000, 8:21 pm

This is an unfortunate problem and one that the airlines really can't solve or enforce buying two seats lest they then be sued for discrimination. But if someone wants to buy two seats we'll happily sell them.
Old Aug 25, 2000, 8:41 pm

I tried to buy two seats on BA in coach (for different reasons than those that prompted this thread) and they wouldn't sell me them saying that one pax can not buy two seats on the same flight and that each seat bought had to have a unique name on the ticket.

As far as the subject of the thread goes BA has the extra room coach seat (or is rolling it out) it is a section called world traveler plus between Biz and economy. Virgin also has something similar called Premium economy I think.

Frankly it is about time as I am sure the large people amongst us don't like the current situation either.
Old Aug 25, 2000, 11:05 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
i guess the other way around this, one could buy two seats with different names and the other person just would not show?
Old Aug 25, 2000, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3.1 Million AA Miles, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold
This discussion thread is missing the key point.

The ""Bottom Line"" is you paid for a seat and you are NOT getting the seat you paid for.

Why not: (1.) request to be moved to a "Full" usable seat in Coach, or (2.) request a free upgrade to Buz or FC, or (3.) a pro rata cash refund on your "shrunken" seat, or (4.) some kind of compensation to YOU for YOUR LOSS.

Has no one in this PC ("politically correct") world have the guts to say the obvious facts. That fat person is taking away YOUR PAID FOR seat and the airlines are letting it happen.

Focus on the true cause of the problem. The airlines SELL SEATS. If you do NOT get the seat you PAID for, then complain!

Speak up! Do not let yourself be run over by someone else' ""excess"".

(Had to get this off my chest!)
Old Aug 26, 2000, 12:11 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Originally posted by Brandy:
Has no one in this PC ("politically correct") world have the guts to say the obvious facts. That fat person is taking away YOUR PAID FOR seat and the airlines are letting it happen.
. . . it takes guts to be gentle, kind, and sensitive about things too, Brandy. . .

I am not always the nicest guy, but last time this happened to me (SJC-IAH) I just coped for 4 hours. It didn't kill me. Sure, I didn't get what I paid for (all of my space) but then, the HUGE man next to me got an added bonus (a bit dignity and respect.) I consider it a worthwhile trade.

------------------
Travel is a powerful antidote to contemporary American arrogance.
Old Aug 26, 2000, 1:36 am

But the reason I am so fat is all the airline food I eat - they made me fat, with their free drinks, their nibbles in the lounge, their diminutive meals which never really satisfy my needs...

Surely they can't fatten me up for Christmas and then charge me extra for the privilidge?

I can't say "no", I have been 'trained' to do as the cabin-crew say and seeing as they no longer ask "Would you like a drink Sir?", but instead order "Drink Sir" I have no choice.

Infact I am think of sueing the offending airlines for getting me to the hideous state where an extension seat-belt is only a couple of inches away...

Nick

Old Aug 26, 2000, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
The image of a seat template located beside the carryon baggage template is very interesting. An acquaintance of mine who used to be 450lb regularly bought 2 AA seats and then got one refunded when upgraded. One time he got frustrated by the seat assignments on the coach pair...they were both aisle seats!
Old Aug 26, 2000, 5:59 am

belle3388, most airlines treat no-shows as an available seat. It's very likely that no-show seat would be filled with a passenger from their yield management (overbooking) formula or from the standby list.
Old Aug 26, 2000, 7:37 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've been forced to sit in my 1/2 seat before. I wrote a letter to Delta about the situation and they responded with the politically correct line. They also gave me 5,000 miles for the problems I had.
Old Aug 26, 2000, 1:41 pm

i had the pleasure of being seated with an
extremely large traveller; i'm guessing 6'5" and 400#. i'm not exactly small myself; 6'1" and 200#.

the flight was full, so i simply collected
my stuff and exited the plane. the gate
agent was not helpful. they tried to board
another into the seat i vacated - and he
declined as well.

i went back to the counter & asked for supv.
she seemed skeptical of my "story" until
one of the check-in reps jumped in and said
that he was huge.

there was an exceptionally brief discussion
about whether i would be charged the $75
change fee for my discount ticket.

fwiw; i have a friend that routinely buys
a tkt for her cello so that she does not
have to risk checking it as baggage.

-drr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.