Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Casa Del Mar Hotel opens in Santa Monica. New best place to stay here?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 1999, 6:46 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Though I have not yet stayed here, this place is now open and it looks great. One of The Leading Hotels of the World, Casa Del Mar may outdo Shutters on the Beach as THE place to stay in Santa Monica. 'Tis not cheap, but the tour is free at www.hotelcasadelmar.com or call 1-800-898-6999.
Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I can't tell from the address where this hotel is located, doc. Where is 1910 Ocean Front Walk and how near/far is it from Shutters?
Old Oct 12, 1999, 7:52 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

They are very close to each other. Shutters is on Pico Boulevard, just accross from it. if you want more details you might try www.mapquest.com
Old Oct 12, 1999, 8:04 am

Thanks, doc. I just told my husband about this new hotel and he said it's owned by the same people that own Shutters. We stayed at Shutters about month ago and loved it. Can't say we loved Loews (yecchh!).
Old Jul 14, 2000, 11:19 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
Both are where the old MUSCLE BEACH of the 50's was. Redevelopement has replaced all the old beach houses. I lived in the two Santa Monica Shore TOWERS a few blocks south in the late 60's. What a change! Great location to swinging parts of Santa Monica and mall with many restaurants. Only a couple of miles from the Venice area, which is frequented by 'fitness' tourists as well.
Old Jul 15, 2000, 7:38 am

Roadrunner, the ones on Neilson Way?
Old Jul 15, 2000, 10:18 pm

That's the one and rent for a 1 bedroom on the 18th (top) floor was $115.00! Moved to the 1 bedrrom and den for $145.00. Left in the early 70's when the rent was raised to $410.00. NO traffic in those days. No one wanted to live way out there. Laurel Canyon was the center of LA back then and it only took me 18 minutes to get there. That is 18 miles.
Old Jul 15, 2000, 11:39 pm

I know this is supposed to be the new hip spot but I grew up nearby and this hotel was for many years Synanon the only heroin rehab in the U.S. This hotel and Shutters are both in a totally gnarly neighborhood after the sun goes down.. it has always been like this and is still the same. Stick with the Bel-Air.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I like The Georgian. Cool Art Deco pile on Ocean Drive, parts of "Get Shorty" were filmed there, and you can walk around the corner to The Kings Head for your pints.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 9:40 pm

After Synanon, it was reincarnated as the PRITIKIN Center. Minimal diets and excercise at HIGH prices.
You have to admit it was a choice location at one time and it is improving. I remember it was a Private club at one time.
Just think if you bought up the real estate, when it was at it's low.

------------------
It is never too late to have a HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.