Search

Need Advice Re: Public Transportation BWI/DC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2000, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Need Advice Re: Public Transportation BWI/DC

I have an employee who will be flying into BWI and will take public transportation (the best in the world, I hear) to meet me at the D.C. Convention Center.

Any good advice regarding the most efficient routing will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 30, 2000, 3:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
What I'd do. Free bus shuttle to BWI AMTRAK/MARC station. Train (MARC is cheaper, if it's running) to Union Station. Metro to Gallery Place.
Old Jun 30, 2000, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Schedules for the MARC trains from the BWI AMTRAK station (to D.C. Union Station) can be found at: http://www.mtamaryland.com/

They only run Monday-Friday ($5 one way). You can buy tickets at the BWI AMTRAK station from a computer kiosk with a credit card, or from a ticket window. There is a discount if you buy a round trip ticket.

I came back on a Sunday once and had to get an AMTRAK ticket one way (booked on their web site). Think it was about $17.50. I presented the confirmation number and they printed out the ticket for me.

There is a free connecting bus from BWI to the AMTRAK station that takes about 5-10 minutes.

Tom
Old Jun 30, 2000, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The train is definitely a good option. The other relatively inexpensive option is the hourly scheduled service by Super Shuttle to downtown DC.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Thanks for the information.

Do Geo1004 and Kokonutz have any pearls of wisdom to add? If my emoloyee follows their advice will he end up in Hoboken?
Old Jul 1, 2000, 10:06 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
MARC sounds good, but remember to leave a little extra time on the way back, I have had to wait 20 minutes on the shuttle bus at BWI when things were really busy.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 10:52 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I have done this and it works.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 3:24 pm

I'm using it almost every time I go to DC. Cheap, convenient and usually reliable, although once I've experienced a delay on the way to DC - about 45 minutes, so your employee should take such a possibility into account.
Old Jul 1, 2000, 8:40 pm
fparker1

Hmmmm.....
A little more expensive than public transport is Private Car. They have the only Sedan service in BWI and are right at the curb and take reservations (recommended). The rate in and around Baltimore rivals that of cabs and they are more reliable. 410-519-0000

f

Old Jul 3, 2000, 7:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Punki: My advice re: flying into/out of BWI: DON'T DO IT!

Ok, so I personally violate this policy myself from time to time...but the exception proves the rule!!!!!

But I'm quite sure that JeffS will agree that BWI is a worthless podunk, backwater middle-of-nowhere excuse for an airport.

Now if it were Queen Punki herself arriving into this distant exo-burb, she could simply call upon her grass-skirted knight for timely and personalized transit...

The train is indeed the most efficinet per dollar spent. My only advice: whichever train your servant takes, do it as a one way, since there may be a more convenient return on the other service...
Old Jul 3, 2000, 8:25 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
I find BWI to be the hidden airport in heaven. I take the light rail into the city, and the MARC Baltimore to DC. I avoid both DC aiprorts at all cost. Now, it would be nice if you could go from BWI ti JFK on someone other then DL/TSA or AA commuter which are both terrible.
Old Jul 3, 2000, 1:25 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
The ONLY good thing about BWI: one is assured the ultimate pleasure of a J31 if one wants to go to a real DC airport ...
Old Jul 3, 2000, 2:06 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Just did this trip in reverse. DCA to baltimore. MARC is currently $5.75 AMTRACK $23 (both one way). As a previous poster reported no MARC trains on the weekend. You can connect to the subway at union station in washington. Just for future knowledge the north end of BWI has a light rail station that goes north to penn station and beyond. HOWEVER that is a terrible option if you are going south as it takes 45 mintues to pennstation. I only mention it because you should not confuse the two stations at the airport. (and if you ever need to go north, now you know how). P.S. I actually got a cheaper ticket flying into DCA and returning BWI.
Old Jul 3, 2000, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
Punki , why not treat your employee to that private car? You're probably saving more than that using BWI instead of IAD or DCA?
Old Jul 3, 2000, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
If you're going to rely on mass transit to get into DC, DCA is your best bet, but if that won't work, you're better off with BWI than with Dulles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.