Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Galapagos Islands, has anyone been there recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2000, 9:29 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K

Twenty years ago I visited the Galapagos Islands, I arrived at Puerto Ayora in late June, and stayed for about three weeks, about 10 days on a boat visiting a number of the islands. I was traveling alone, but after a few days was able to get together with a number of other travelers and charter a boat to tour the islands. The Darwin Research Station was helpful in the planning of our itinerary. Our tour included Isla Isabella, where we climbed the Volcano Alcedo, to deliver mail and supplies to two scientists doing research in the crater. The tour included Tower, Santiago, Bartolome, Daphne islands.

I was staying at the Hotel Angermeyer while waiting for my boat when two young women, Linda and Cathy, from Tucson, Az. arrived, they were going on a tour arranged on the mainland. As things turned out Cathy and I have been married for over 16 years now, we continue to enjoy traveling in Latin America together.

At that time the hotel cost about $2 a day, our boat was $200 a day for eight people, including food and the services of a cook,licensed guide and captain. Beer was extra at $1 a bottle. After returning from the cruse there were no beds available at the hotel, I was, however permitted to put up my tent in the garden, where I stayed for the remainder of my visit.

My outbound flight was a scheduled flight on a Lockheed Electra, on the return I was able to get on a military C130 flight.

I would be interested in communicating with anyone who has been there in recent years. Has anyone seen Gus Angermeyer in recent years? I have seen him on a couple of PBS programs, and had the honor of being invited to visit his "Cave" while staying in Puerto Ayora.

Guess not

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 07-03-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.