Search

Pax's Cite Middle Eastern Ethnicity in HP Evacuation Dispute

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 1999, 5:13 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Pax's Cite Middle Eastern Ethnicity in HP Evacuation Dispute

Two HP pax, whose behavior prompted a runway evacuation of Flight 90 from Phoenix to Columbus, claimed their Middle Eastern ethnicity was the cause of the dispute. The men alledgedly had suspicious questions and one had apparently jiggled the cockpit door. Hamda Alshalawr, 37, called the rx a "stupid mistake." He and Muhammad Al Qudhaieer , both doctoral students studying linguistics in AZ, are from Saudi Arabia. Al Qudhaieer said he was looking for a bathrom and they were just curious about their itineraries. "They overreacted" he claimed.

They were actually in custody for 3 hrs and questioned by the FBI. They were headed on to Wash DC for a conference by the University that sponsored their studies. where the plane was to proceed.

Al Qudhaieer had asked what time the plane would be expected to land and if the flight was full. He'd hoped his friend seated in the rear could move up because he was concerned they would be late for their conference.

Ehen he tried to get to the forward bathroom, an FA standing there told him FC only. He claims now they are saying he went for the cockpit door but that he never did.

An HP spokesperson at their Port Columbus Inter Airport hub said they had no comment.
Old Nov 21, 1999, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found this story horrifying. It is clearly a case of sterotyping and it is really, really stupid. If this happened to me I'd be very upset.
Old Nov 22, 1999, 2:39 am
doc
Original Poster

Clearly these days many people including airline professionals are somewhat fearful of Arabic looking individuals.

Reports are already circulating regarding possible legal action on their behalf. I believe a suit and subsequent (large) settlement are probably inevitable.

Sadly, the problem of stereotyping, however, is not so easy to eradicate.
Old Jun 23, 2000, 8:17 am
doc
Original Poster

Two Muslim passengers have sued America West Airlines over an incident last November in Ohio during which they were detained for asking "suspicious" questions of airline employees according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
http://news.airwise.com/stories/2000/06/961757854.html

Old Jul 1, 2000, 2:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Another example of why I call HP "America Wurst." While living in Tucson I was "forced" to fly HP more than once, which was once too often.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.