Independence Day recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2000, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Silver, 3 stays from Starwood Platinum!

I may have the 3rd and 4th of July off, and was wondering what city has the best fireworks? May want to do a mileage run, and the "triple miles promo NWA thru Memphis" has me thinking hard. Could return early on the 5th. Thank you for any ideas.

Linda
Old Jun 9, 2000, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Chicago has the best show. Make sure to be there on the 3rd at the Lake for the famous 1812 and endless fireworks.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 6:01 am
geo1004

Me thinks the fireworks on the Mall in Washington, DC might rival the show in Chicago.

Rumor has it this year the climax of the the fireworks display in DC will be kokonutz in a ballet outfit shot out of a cannon with a sparkler!!!

Old Jun 9, 2000, 6:24 am

Let me second the call for DC---the Post says it's to be a 30 minute light show this year!

However, let me also advise anyone flying home to DC not to land at National and try to drive the Parkway after dusk. I got in my car at about 830, drove a few hundred yards out of the airport and got stuck in traffic for the next two hours.

No accident, just IDIOTS who decided to park in the road and watch the fireworks. Then, after the show, all the folks who pulled onto the shoulder tried to merge in...what a MESS!

Made me long for the days of my childhood when the Park Police shooed you into one of the overlooks or sent you on your way.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 6:40 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Chicago has the best show?

NY, NY, for sure!
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:07 am

NY, NY, for sure?

Chicago has the best show!
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:15 am
Commander Catcop

Last fourth of JULY my buddy wanderlust and I saw the Macy's Fireworkers Spectacular from the top of the World Trade Center (the observation deck.)

Surprisingly, it was NOT too crowded and we got a spot by the window to see all the bright lights.

I have not seen the Chicago or the D-C shows yet (Except D-C on T-V.) I *MAY* go this 4th (depending on friend's avail.)

So for now NYC'S SHOW GETS THE BIG FOUR PAWS UP.

Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:24 am
Original Member

Programs: SW A List Preferred, Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think the Washington Monument is also going to be "re-unvieled" during the 4th of July happenings.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:36 am

Nope, no new Monument this year. Same story in the Post reports that the rehab work *somehow* fell behind schedule and not they're looking at an end of summer completion.

However, we will get the extra long fireworks show to compensate.

More details: www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25926-2000Jun8.html

[This message has been edited by joanek (edited 06-09-2000).]
Old Jun 9, 2000, 8:52 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
anything hapenning in Anchorage, Alaska?
thanks to Deltas special promo, we r spending a quiet july 4th there...
Old Jun 9, 2000, 10:27 am

Boston has a fireworks show, with the Boston Pops providing musical accompanyment. It is also televised on A&E, however fireworks on TV just doesn't make it.

But that is only PART of the July 4th experience in Boston.

July 4th is also the day the USS Constitution is taken out into the harbor. (They turn it around so it weathers evenly on both sides of the hull.) It used to be a great local tradition, but then the Hollywood Beautiful People caught wind of it. Hopefully they've found some other event to take away from the locals.

Being such a focal point for the Revolutionary War, there is a lot of history to explore. The re-enactment of the Battle of Lexington Green is very well done.

The historical landmarks in Boston are within walking distance, and the National Park Service has done a great job preserving the sites. Walk the FREEDOM TRAIL (a big red line printed on the sidewalk) and it will bring you past dozens of historical sites, such as the Old North Church ("one if by land...")

PS) Except for getting to Lexington, you can do the rest of this without renting a car --- and I STRONGLY advise to. With so many New Englanders converging on the city, the streets (bad on a GOOD day) turn into parking lots.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."

[This message has been edited by Jon Toner (edited 06-09-2000).]
Old Jun 9, 2000, 11:26 am
BIM

I've got to agree w/ Jon Toner - nothing like the Esplanade and the Pops!
Old Jun 9, 2000, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
How about watching fogworks from Chrissy Field in San Francisco?

You can wear your gloves and parka while watching the clouds over the Golden Gate Bridge give off ihnts of blue, green and red.
Old Jun 9, 2000, 5:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
its a lot better watching it from berkeley and seeing the tops of gg bridge.

If you get your blanket down in the morning in front of the capital for the PBS show and make sure you get a gap between the trees for the fireworks show you can feel the concussion of the cannons for the 1812 overture but will not here the bells from the old p.o. building.
Old Jun 15, 2000, 12:51 pm
In Memoriam

As for the Washington Monument "re-unveiling", the scaffolding was already off when I was there over Memorial Day weekend! I didn't try to go up, though, so maybe that's the part that's was planned for July 4th and is now delayed until later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.