Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Favorite NYC Hotel? A survey.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2000, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Your Favorite NYC Hotel? A survey.

In light of the post about downtown NY hotels, I thought a survey about your favorite Manhattan hotel would be interesting. It's a city full of hotels, all different, and everyone has their favorites.

I like the Essex House, and occasionally the St. Regis if I want to splurge. I hate the Grand Hyatt. Not much Grand about it.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 6:43 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
i like the Renaissance, conveviently located and charming little hotel....

used to stay in one called Royal Rhiga Hotel, really nice, but was no longer with that name? does anyone know?
Old Jun 25, 2000, 6:45 pm

belle: Check out: http://www.nytimes.com/library/trave.../bt000319.html
Old Jun 25, 2000, 7:24 pm

I love the Peninsula - while their regular room rates start at $575, there are ways to get better deals. In January I stayed there on a special "internet" rate of $290. I'll be there in a few weeks at American Express' Fine Hotel Rate of $390 - but you pay for three nights during the summer and get the fourth night free (which takes the rate down to about $290), and breakfast daily and 1 afternoon tea is included, along with an upgrade on check-in, and a 4pm check out. Even the least expensive room type is wonderful - every high tech gadget you can imagine: controls at the bedside to adjust the tv and radio as well as turn lights on, off, or set for the "mood" setting; controls in the tub, which adjust the tv sound, and also allow you to answer the phone on speaker while you're lounging in the tub; free cell phones - or the ability to program your own cell phone, so calls ring in both the room and your cell phone simultaenously; wonderful linens and beautiful comforters; spectacular service; and the location can't be beat (well the St. Regis, directly across the street gets a tie on location) 5th Avenue and 55th Street. This is one of those hotels that you visit and wonder why everyone else can't even come close.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 8:41 pm

A junior Suite at the Essex house is my staple and I have never been turned away even on the busiest of weekends. I take this location because of its views of the park, it is next to Pavarotti's building, and also beacuse of the proximity to San Domenico and the Met. If I really wanted to pamper myself I think I would choose the Pierre, I have not stayed there but have visited people staying there and was impressed. I love the health club and pool in the peninsula. For a cheaper stay and a nice view of Time sqaure I use the Marriot Marque with a good breakfast buffet.
Old Jun 25, 2000, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
I don't know many NY hotels, but I enjoyed my stay at the Warwick on business last year. (But can't remember what their Airline partner policy is. -The days of my ff carelessness were not so long ago!) Rather reasonable rooms surrounded by much more expensive rooms and a corresponding general atmosphere.

Anyone else stayed there?
Old Jun 26, 2000, 12:53 pm

The Essex House if definitely one of my favorites, however, this is a tough question. The original W, assuming you get a Lexington Ave room, is quite hip, as it the new Hilton on Times Square.

For those fans of the Essex, it was just announced that Alain Ducasse, Master French Chef and author, will be opening a restaurant at the Essex. Eight month wait list, price fix lunch or dinner begins at $160.00 pp.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 6:58 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What do you mean just....?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/000554.html

This will be tremendous, IMHO!
Old Jun 26, 2000, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Wow, I just can't understand it. There must be two Essex house hotels in NYC... I made a post on the Starwood thread a while ago about the Essex house. A friend of mine stayed there in room 911 with a central park view. I visited him and his wife there last summer. The carpet was so dirty my friend’s wife put the bedspread on the floor rather than walk on it. The windows were so filthy you could hardly see the park view (I mean really bad). The room was small (not unusual for NYC), the bathroom was small, the shower/tub may have been white marble, but hard to tell as my eye focused on the grout stains. The hallways were institutional looking with scuff and ding marks on everything. My friends were lulled to sleep by the sound of slamming doors all night long. No coffee maker in the room, plus all the furniture was shop worn and not even matched. Perhaps the top 10 floors are paradise and that is where everyone else stays that seems to like the place so much. The 9 th floor sure wasn’t very great last summer. I even canceled my FREE Friday (Starwood promotion) there I was so unimpressed.
Old Jun 26, 2000, 10:38 pm

Location: Memphis, TN-SPG Platinum, HY Diamond, HH Gold, NW Platinum, AA Platinum, AVIS Preferred Select.
My favorites are the Essex House and the W-Tuscany...although the Tuscany has a bad location in NY it has nice rooms and service As everyone else has said, the Essex house has nice rooms and a good location.
Old Jun 27, 2000, 7:12 am

The Soho Grand is my favorite hotel in the city. To hip for its own good, its a good hotel that is in my favorite part of the city. I like the Novotel for the view of Times Square that you can get from the rooms facing south.
Old Jun 27, 2000, 10:12 am

This is an easy one...

My all time favorite NYC hotel is the Righa Royal Hotel, 151 West 54th. By the way, it is still there. I was there two weeks ago.

For many years my family has stayed at this wonderful hotel. It is an all-suite hotel, very luxurious. The service is first rate, we've never had a bad experience. I personally have stayed there more than a dozen times.

Nice suites are available for about $350 to $400 a night. High end $2,000 per night, but it's huge. Have stayed in the big suites (when with my family), but normally get something much smaller. Depending on number of people with me.

The hotel has a wonderful restaurant, Halcyon, with a very intimate piano bar.

Old Jun 27, 2000, 6:00 pm

Until recently I was going to NYC every month and had the oportunity to stay at most of the hotels there.My favorites are the I.M. Pei designed Four Seasons on 57th St., a junior suite at the Mark on the upper east side a suite with full kichen at the Trump Intl. on Columbus Circle and....my big secret.... The Lombardy on 56th and Park. I get a 1 bedroom apt. (not suite) with kitchen... fax.. tall ceilings 2 bathrooms.. HUUUGE terrace for under $300.00 @ night. Many of the rooms there are AWFUL you need to take a look at as many as you can. This is a bldg. that was originally built by Wm. R. Hearst. The units are individually owned co-ops that have ben furnished by the owners some aren't very nice others have thousands of dollars of original art on the walls wth beautiful antiques. It is managed by Prima Hotels. For a totally romantic hoel try the victorian Inn At Irving PLace.Way downtown and verry private Uma Thurman and Winnona Ryder were staying there when I was.It only has about 12 rooms.
Old Jun 28, 2000, 4:51 am

I like the Millenium Hilton because it is conveniently located to the WTC and it is relatively close to the Village, SoHo, East Village etc. I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt, what a crappy hotel
Old Jun 28, 2000, 10:59 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Another vote for the Millennium Hilton; close to all my fave restaurants in Grammercy/Flatiron, TriBeCa and Chinatown. Feels like home to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.