Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Lots of noise, dust and no discounts (WSJ)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2000, 12:51 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Stretched out poolside at the Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel, Ray Botelho soaks up the sun, enjoys the gentle breeze blowing through the palm trees, and breathes in the salty smell of the nearby Pacific Ocean.

It's just heaven- that is except when the jackhammering starts bright and early each morning. "All you hear is clank, clank, clank," says the sales executive from Pleasanton, Calif., referring to the hard-hats drilling holes in cement and putting up "Danger: Area Under Construction" signs around the property. Mr. Botelho tries his best to, well, relax, but asks the obvious question: "What are you going to do?"

Answer: Not much. Across the country, hotels are in the midst of renovation frenzy that will last well into the peak summer season- and probably into next summer, too.
http://travel.wsj.com/n/SB961441358507766522-main.html
http://travel.wsj.com/n/SB9614413585...ain.html#TABLE
Old Jun 22, 2000, 11:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Almost the exact same thing happened to me at a Mobil 5-star property - Marriott's Camelback Inn in Scottsdale. No discounts, no compensation (upgrades, meal credits). Overall, a very disappointing experience. If we go back to the area, I'd probably opt for the Phoenician or the Boulders, if we can find a way to go on points/miles.
Old Jun 22, 2000, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i'm not exactly at a 5 star hotel at the moment - far from it. i'm at the doubltree suites in suburban cincinnati (sharonville). but i was shocked to get here yesterday to find the hotel undergoing a major renovation. there's no mention of it on the doubletree website, of course, and no indication that the restaurant, pool and health club are all closed.

fair enough... that's what the WSJ article is all about... and it's happening to all of us as we travel about.

but this is particularly noteworthy to me because i'm here hosting a 2-day seminar for 40 local people. it's a fairly modest event - no room nights (i'm the only one actually staying at the hotel) - but even so, we're dropping close to $2,000 over two days in F & B and meeting room rental.

geez louise... you think someone might have mentioned that there would be drilling, hammering, sawing and workmen screaming just outside our meeting room door all day long. and that parking is severely limited.

our complaints to management have gone mostly unrecognized and we've been unable to get any reduction to our bill.

(on the plus side, however, it's worth mentioning that this is the first of three doubletrees that i've stayed in this year that didn't look at my hilton hhonors card like it had just arrived on a spaceship from a foreign planet. they actually seemed to know what to do with it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.